Thread: Video editing Build!

Fresh Paint

Default Video editing Build!

Hey guys! First off thanks so much for any of your help for reading and helping me out!!!!
    So, Im looking to build a new pc for NO gaming but a lot of hd video editing, Photoshop, Illustrator and other graphics software. So I need a build strictly for those programs. I'm thinking I should go with the i7 2600k Do to the quad core with HT so rendering times will be cut down. I also will need atleast 2 hd's so I can use one as my scratch disk to save my videos to. I was thinking of use a SDD for the os but I'm not postitive. I don't think I need an amazing video card but you tell me! I would like to keep it under $1000, But I will definitely upgrade later if I need to!
    Thanks again!!!

Its not cool till its watercooled. Fuganater's Avatar

Default Re: Video editing Build!

A GTX 560 Ti should be good enough for you. All the other hardware you have listed will do great.

PS and some editing suites take advantage of nVidia cards. Plan that into it. The 2600K is most people's go-to CPU, but it depends on what you want to do, honestly.

Scrap SSD, no real benefit there. Go with a pair of RAIDs and a single drive, that way you have a backup of your main work drive and a single scratch drive for maximum efficiency. I personally would invest in a dedicated controller card, but that's just me. That is getting into money there, though.

16GB of RAM. You will use it, and it's cheap, often under 100 USD if you look around.

And for the "no real benefit" comment-if you're loading 4-500GB of raw video (like my friend is doing working on her movie) then a SSD capable is either over OP's budget or too small if in it. Work on a drive where you can just open what you need instead of swapping clips in and out of a marginally faster space. You don't often alter a game's size, and they're not 100+GB sometimes either. Horses for courses, though I still wonder at the choice of SSD then.
    Project:Mithril, sponsored by Petra's Tech Shop and Sidewinder Computers-MOTM Nominee October '08

Shut up and take my money!

Solid advice, also I would mention that a SSD used for the os and programs only does help load times of both the os and programs, but not with the files, so unless you're opening and closing photoshop a hundred times a day, a hdd would probably be just fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw
    Will have another Aldersan pic in a bit.

Myrmidon

It would suffer from the moving files in and out issue, and while it's not a big deal with PS< with any video editing software you would have a hurry up and wait from the SSD to the HDD just to access a file.
    Project:Mithril, sponsored by Petra's Tech Shop and Sidewinder Computers-MOTM Nominee October '08

Why must hard drives fail together? TheMainMan's Avatar

Like Kayin mentioned earlier the nVidia cards can make a big difference. Hardware accelerating things on my GTX 470 meant that I could turn on live preview in Premiere Pro and not have to render the work area every time you make a change. I haven't compared how much of a benefit there is between different nVidia cards but that's what google is for.
    Last edited by TheMainMan; 10-20-2011 at 02:12 AM. Reason: 'v' key doesn't work.
    TheMainMan