Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Interesting Discovery...

Default Interesting Discovery...

Ok, this will take some explaining: my mum's boyfriend is Arabic, and he wanted to browse some websites in arabic. Unfortunately, windows isn't particularly tailored for this, but we installed the new language packs and set it all up...but the keyboard was still in English. So, we got some stickers, cut them up, and stuck them to the keys. Then we opened up word, and with a pen, wrote the new symbols on each of the keys. This is what the end product looked like:

The interesting thing is that my keyboard broke the other day (I thought better of logitech...will have to try and fix it...) and I just grabbed the Arabic keyboard. I had a vague idea where the keys were, so I thought i would be allright: i was very surprised when i discovered that not only could I use the keyboard as normal, but i don't even have to look at the keyboard when i'm typing. I've not taken my eyes of the screen the whole time i've been typing this thread; at first, it was tricky, but then I learned to trust my fingers, and now i'm tapping away faster than i did when I had keys.

The keys on the keyboard were holding me back! So I encourage you to try this, cover you keys with stickers and see how much faster you'll become.

It reminded me of something I once saw on TV: Chinese children are sometimes sent to special "Abacus School" where they learn to use the abacus really, really, fast. They hold speed competitions, and teach them how to use the abacus to do complex arithmetic such as cube roots. Then, they just take the abaci away, and the kids just 'do the motions' in mid air, without an abacus, and write the correct answer down. Being able to do cube roots in your head is quite a skill

Anyone else had a similar experience? I wonder what else is holding me back...

-Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Ideas are just knowledge soaked in alcohol.
    Did I just get in a Volvo? Volvo's don't have guns!

Default Re: Interesting Discovery...

Wow, the Arabic language has a character that looks just like the Windows logo! Cool! What letter is that? <Smirk>

Quote Originally Posted by DaveW
    Anyone else had a similar experience? I wonder what else is holding me back...
    Your monitor. Turn it off and use The Force.

What letter is that? <Smirk>
    It's not a letter, it's a symbol, like the + or - keys. It basically means great evil.

-Dave

Practice random acts of generosity Omega's Avatar

I am actually trying to paint a keyboard black so that there are no maked keys, and also so it's black.

Kind of like the Das keyboard.

i5-3570k @ 4.40GHz // R9 380X @ 1020MHz // 2x Samsung 850 EVO SSDs // 2x 2TB HDDs
    Fractal Design Define R2 XL "Monolith"

If you had a decent typing teacher, you would have learned this already.
    Every friday we would have a typing test where we would have a wooden box over our keyboards so we couldn't see our hands. Works well and you do learn how to type quickly and properly.
    I think everyone should learn to type this way, but most people don't learn formally type at all.

For those of you who don't know about the Das Keyboard.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/input/7727/

If you want a cheap version of this, pick up a new hp/dell/gateway basic(104) keyboard and spraypaint the damn thing black. Tada.

thats what i did with my Microsift keyboard, i don't even look at it, so it dosen't bother me, but the girl next door comes roun d now and again to do her A-Level work on the PC, and she needs me to help because the can't type on a keyboard without the letters, so i am currently teaching her touch typing, but it only comes with experience.

Mary had a little lamb. It bumped into a pylon. Ten thousand volts went up its arse and turned its wool to nylon!

I never got any typing classes, but it seems to be in my head now...i guess i should re-enforce this with a blank keyboard.

Or maybe a keyboard with some interesting symbols on it? The arabic symbols don't even register in my head, and a blank keyboard would sure stop annoying people (i.e. brothers) messing with my equipment.

Good find nil8, but you'd have to be crazy or filthy rich to spend that much on a keyboard...

-Dave

Fresh Paint

Quote Originally Posted by nil8
    If you want a cheap version of this, pick up a new hp/dell/gateway basic(104) keyboard and spraypaint the damn thing black. Tada.
    Yeah, basically everybody has the das keyboard...it gets the "das" from black spray paint I suppose hehehe

Das Keyboard is a ripoff, if you've ever considered buying one, don't. It's a $19 Keytronic keyboard colored black with Metadot's badging. It's a scam. I exposed this one several months ago, tried to point it out to Maximum PC and CPU magazine but they shrugged it off and paid little or no attention to me. If you do some research with Google you'll find all the proof ya need for that. Complete scam outfit.

When I learned to type we had key caps, little caps that fit over the keyboard to black out the keys, worked fine.