Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Allow myself to introduce er ..... Myself

Fresh Paint

Default Allow myself to introduce er ..... Myself

.... sorry guys couldn't resist that Austin Powers Moment (being English of course).

Anyway i wanted to join this forum as i have a few ideas of what i would like to create (have been a keen PC builder/Technician/Technophile for many years now but am EXTREMELY new to the modding scene!)

Because I'm new ATM i don't really posses any power tools as such (I actually own a drill and a sander atm (and not very good ones at that).

So i suppose my first questions are what tools would people advise me to invest in?? obviously the cheaper the better, but I'm not looking for tools which will break the bank.

I intend (eventually) to work with Acrylic plexiglass, but am considering starting with wood (as i believe that will be easier to learn with) please correct me if I'm wrong. Also I'm not objected to working with metal although like i said i don't have any experience working with metal so i figured i would give it a miss at least for my first two projects.

Now just so you guys get a basic idea of what I'm wanting/trying/intending to do for my first project, I am currently split between an Acrylic cube style case (smoked grey transparent acrylic), or going all out for a Desk with a built in computer Like this:

http://tweakers.net/ext/f/2vEcuiYdnE...pBkKS/full.jpg (I WISH)

I will update with my Rigs specs later and nice to meet you all!

Martin

Default Re: Allow myself to introduce er ..... Myself

Welcome to the forums!

Can't wait to see which way you go. That desk is nice!
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...

Custom Title Honors

i'd say add a jigsaw with plastic blades and a good measuring device to that list. and a good dremel tool is always useful. if you plan on bending the acrylic, get a good heat gun too.

also go here... http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/m....php/Main_Page and start reading everything. there's lots of good info there.

Fresh Paint

Appreciate it muchly guys. If I ever get together the funds/materials/tools to start (and hopefully) finish this project then i will post a build log, until then i shall update (ask new questions) in this thread. Off to read the link you posted now xr4man.

P.S. (If you hadn't noticed) I Like Brackets Ha Ha!

Its not cool till its watercooled. Fuganater's Avatar

Woo someone new who isnt a spammer!!

Like xr4man said. A nice jigsaw/scroll saw will be great for acrylic and acrylic blades. I use mine alot. A dremel with some reinforced cutting discs are good for cutting up a case.

A good 18v cordless drill or a 14v if you must.
    Titanium nitrate tipped drill bits are key.
    A pop rivet gun so you can take a case appart and put it back together
    A set of pencil files for that fine work
    An aggressive file for the rough filing of acrylic or metals
    Sodering Iron
    A molex pin removal tool and a ATX pin removal tool
    A crimper for molex and ATX pins. I can't remember the name right now.

I'm sure there are more but thats all i could pick off my workbench.

SketchUp is a modders best friend.
    A good camera and good lighting. Well good lighting will make any camera look awesome.

Throw up an idea thread once you get a basic design going and people here will help you out. We don't flame here like Bit-tech. You can get hammered over there.

Welcome to the TBCS family!

Fresh Paint

Thanks for all the info guys/and(gals???) and keep it coming, the more info i get the better!

Just read all the way through that link you gave me xr4man and there are some very helpful hints in there appreciate it,

i already have a list of features that I would like my case/desk (not decided on which to go for yet) to have should i just list them here or create a separate Idea thread???

(forgive me I'm a newbie)

Thanks again

Martin

Custom Title Honors

yup, there's a whole section devoted to just ideas.

http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/f...splay.php?f=72

i'm heading over there now to post something up.

If it isn't stock, it's modded! slaveofconvention's Avatar

Just a thought but when it comes to tools, don't overlook B&Q own brand "Performance Power" tools - I have a jigsaw, 2 drills, and a dremel clone all from that brand and with the exception of a failed chuck on one of the drills (needed a £7 part to fix) I've never had a problem with them.

When it comes to screws, brackets, fixings, B&Q is NOT your friend, it's a evil wallet-sucking beast - screwfix is the way to go. As for things like electronic parts, ebay is the way to go - some people may suggest Maplin or RS components but they can be pricey - I often buy a 100 pack of LEDs from ebay for about the same price as a half dozen would be from Maplin.

Ask your questions, we'll either answer you or make something convincing up

Welcome to the nuthouse

Current Projects: Lobo | Unimatrix | High Voltage | Antec 900 Revamp (Phase 2)
    Completed Projects: General Lee | Synergy Green | Liquid Yellow
    Planned Projects: K-9-PC | Limey

Fresh Paint

Appreciate the tips Slave but i live in the USA so ATM it is Home Depot or Lowes for me !!!

If it isn't stock, it's modded! slaveofconvention's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Martsmac1982 View Post
    .... sorry guys couldn't resist that Austin Powers Moment (being English of course).
    That's what I get for assuming

Current Projects: Lobo | Unimatrix | High Voltage | Antec 900 Revamp (Phase 2)
    Completed Projects: General Lee | Synergy Green | Liquid Yellow
    Planned Projects: K-9-PC | Limey