Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: free windows 8 preview...

Default Re: free windows 8 preview...

I did a livestream of it a couple days ago.

Doesn't go into too much, mainly just first impressions.

www.livestream.com/ichbin

Head to about...25 minutes in if you don't wanna see it install.

Would You kindly... luciusad2004's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by xr4man View Post
    finally loaded it up last night and so far i hate it with all my heart.

i don't like having to click on windows explorer just bring up a regular desktop. then i don't like that if you close the explorer window it shoves you back into metro. which is way uglier than windows 3.1 ever was. then i can't figure out how to get out of metro ie10 without going into the task manager.

so, does anyone know what is supposed to be better about windows8 other than the metro interface?
    There should be a tile that takes you to the desktop. Once in the desktop you should have a link in the task bar to IE 10. If you open IE from there it will take you to regular IE. Then you can download Chrome
    What if I'm a Snowstorm burning
    What if I'm a world unturning.

Custom Title Honors

yup, i found all that.

but, how do you make it stay in desktop mode permanently? that metro crap is retarded.

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

There is a setting for it. I read it yesterday. The metro interface is geared towards tablet PCs. There is a setting to get the STD desktop at startup.

Custom Title Honors

if you can find how to do that i'd appreciate it. if not, i'll hunt down the info myself. that may make me hate it less.

Custom Title Honors

i think i found an easy way to bypass metro.

http://www.ghacks.net/2011/09/15/win...able-metro-ui/

My girlfriend just did this method of installing Windows 8, very interesting if you ask me:
    http://blog.concurrency.com/infrastr...windows-setup/

As for my opinion of Windows 8, it's not bad, but it's not great in it's current form. The metro interface is very nice for tablets (although on my girlfriend's netbook, the Metro interface apps won't open because the maximum screen resolution is 800x600!) but for a desktop, I'd prefer to have some desktop setting which brings back the Windows Vista/7 start menu with a button to go into Metro mode.

Additionally, if you have a tablet which isn't working with the pen (My girlfriend has a Wacom Fun Bamboo Pen and Touch tablet, touch was working fine, but the pen wasn't), installing the Windows 7 drivers works fine and will 're-enable' the pen functionality. I wonder if a lot of the Windows 7 drivers will work fine with Windows 8 (if so, this is good news!).

I might give it a go on my netbook soon via the VHD method shown above.
    Antec Sonata II | Pioneer DVR-212
    Good news! You can follow my website or follow me on twitter!

Would You kindly... luciusad2004's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by crenn View Post
    My girlfriend just did this method of installing Windows 8, very interesting if you ask me:
    http://blog.concurrency.com/infrastr...windows-setup/

As for my opinion of Windows 8, it's not bad, but it's not great in it's current form. The metro interface is very nice for tablets (although on my girlfriend's netbook, the Metro interface apps won't open because the maximum screen resolution is 800x600!) but for a desktop, I'd prefer to have some desktop setting which brings back the Windows Vista/7 start menu with a button to go into Metro mode.

Additionally, if you have a tablet which isn't working with the pen (My girlfriend has a Wacom Fun Bamboo Pen and Touch tablet, touch was working fine, but the pen wasn't), installing the Windows 7 drivers works fine and will 're-enable' the pen functionality. I wonder if a lot of the Windows 7 drivers will work fine with Windows 8 (if so, this is good news!).

I might give it a go on my netbook soon via the VHD method shown above.
    I had to use Windows 7 Video Drivers for my Latitude Laptop to get my video working properly so I would place a safe bet on at least a good number of the windows 7 drivers working for windows 8.
    What if I'm a Snowstorm burning
    What if I'm a world unturning.

Custom Title Honors

so i downloaded the program from the link above and woo hoo!!!!! no more metro for me! i have a full desktop with full start menu. i'm hating win8 less now.

I tried it and promptly set fire to the disk and installed Fedora. I like my PC much more now.

Also, have you guys looked into that one of the "features" of Win8 may be that there's no ability to install other OSes-on a motherboard level?

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...ot-Block-Linux
    Last edited by Kayin; 09-29-2011 at 09:51 PM.
    Project:Mithril, sponsored by Petra's Tech Shop and Sidewinder Computers-MOTM Nominee October '08