Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need to be schooled.

Anodized

Default I need to be schooled.

I cant find out how to check my system processes i tried crtl+alt+del but its not comming up i tried to google how to check it another way but im retarded i need some help. please. thank you
    "Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side kid." --Han Solo--
    Star Wars IV:A New Hope

Default Re: I need to be schooled.

Right click task bar --> Task manager (Win 2k/XP)

or start-->Run-->taskmgr.exe (Think it works on 98, not sure)

even if that dosen't work, goto your system folder, and locate the taskmgr.exe, or in windows 98, its taskmgr.exe in your windows folder i think.

Mary had a little lamb. It bumped into a pylon. Ten thousand volts went up its arse and turned its wool to nylon!

Anodized

okay i tried this forgot to tell you but it says its being used by another program and i have no way of closing it i tried shutting down. i think i t may be a virus or background program that is really pissing me off. i can handle 90% of most comp erroes but i just cant get this one. sorry. thanks for the helop.
    "Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side kid." --Han Solo--

when your starting your PC, tap F8 once your machine passes post, but before the windows logo appears, then select safe mode, then scan your system for problems

Mary had a little lamb. It bumped into a pylon. Ten thousand volts went up its arse and turned its wool to nylon!

I think i recognise this, it's a malicious spyware program. Get Adaware and scan your computer. (It's free) You might need to open in safe mode: see XcOM's post above.

-Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Ideas are just knowledge soaked in alcohol.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Did I just get in a Volvo? Volvo's don't have guns!

ctrl+shift+esc is what I use to bring up taskmanager on the fly.. Another good program for getting rid of stubborn processes is HiJack This. Its not the easiest utility to use for the novice but once you get used to it, it can get rid of alot of things the others can't

Good luck hope this helps.

If taskmgr isn't coming up the way it should, you probably have a piece of malware or spyware.

Do you have an antivirus program?

The anti-spyware program's name is Adware SE Personal. It's made by lavasoft. Download it, update it, reboot your computer into safe mode like they said before.

If you need antivirus, AVG Free is one of the better free options out there.

Rankenphile

SpyBot: Search & Destroy is another good free anti-spyware program. I use it in conjunction with Windows Defender and AdAware to make sure I get them all. So far, so good.

It sounds like you may need to create a Bootable CD with some of this stuff on it, so that you can run your spyware scans without having the drive being your primary boot. I've found this to work well as a last resort. If you're not able to fix these problems with the spyware/virus scans, say so and we can help you get set up with a bootable recovery cd.

Anodized

well i finally got it. I bought spyware doctor and it found like 300+ and i am never letting other people use my PC everagain. thanks for the help guys

Now that your problem is gone, I would suggest backing up your data & reinstalling your OS.

After malware/adware has been dealt with, it leaves behind a lot of junk on your OS and can cause it to still run badly.

Also, consider a popup blocker in your web browser. Like google toolbar.
    Also, get away from Internet explorer. Almost all spyware/malware/adware is written for IE. Use firefox instead.