Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: tired of resetting my router

The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar

Default Re: tired of resetting my router

Ah, DD-WRT.

The two routers I have don't support it.
    One, because it's too small of a ROM chip.
    The other, DD-WRT doesn't support the kind of chip.
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

Tri.fecta

I had a similar issue with mine too, and ended up adding a UPS between the wall and the modem and router. THis way, I can keep my wifi up and running if the power dips.. the UPS is plenty big enough to keep things going for a few hours!

It also smooths out any power issues, so I've had far fewer problems since I did that.

One other thing to consider is interference from other wifi... with the constant dropping in price of wireless equipment, and the fact that many ISP's are now supplying a wifi router, there is a TON of interference out there. If your router has the option of auto channel switching, I've seen issues where the connection will "appear" to be good, but no throughput.

Some routers also have an option to scan and see what's out there, so you can choose a channel with the least amount of interference... the "channel switching" feature does that automatically, but it can wreak havoc with some wifi devices, which dont recognize that the router has switched channels, so they still see the router, but cannot communicate with it.

Try locking it to a specific channel (default is 6, which means there is tons of traffic on that channel wherever there are multiple wifi ap's setup), and see if it stabilizes.

I've had Dlink routers that would work themselves to death trying to switch channels constantly to find less interference, and eventually they just overheat and die. Sometimes you get lucky, and lock into a channel, and there's no problems until someone else's wifi gets reset, and it screws up the equilibrium. That could explain why they last for some time, then start to act up.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

Custom Title Honors

i actually had that problem with the x-gf's router. i switched it to channel 11 and all was good.

i think i may have tried that with one of my old ones to no avail.

i actually have very few wireless devices in my house, so i don't think interference is too much of an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by xr4man View Post
    i actually have very few wireless devices in my house, so i don't think interference is too much of an issue.
    Your neighbors probably do.
    Quote Originally Posted by SXRguyinMA View Post
    Now, off to the basement to do some fiddling with the rods and such.
    so far left of center i'm in right field

Custom Title Honors

i had a feeling someone was going to make that comment. however, i do know that the signals coming from the neighbors are extremely week inside the house. i attribute that to my aluminum siding acting as a bit of an rf shield.

I would get ahold of a spectrum analyzer if you can.. it's possible that there is other wifi that isnt broadcasting the ssid, so it wouldnt appear, even if it is there.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

Custom Title Honors

i suppose i could do that. since i'm in charge of the test equipment at work, i can check out a spec an pretty easily. have to find an antenna.