Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: tired of resetting my router

Custom Title Honors

Default tired of resetting my router

i looked through the first 5 or 6 pages here, but didn't really find what i was looking for.

i've gone through 2 or 3 routers now, all different brands, and they all seem to work for a while and then start dropping the signal and i have to go down and turn it off and then back on again. i've read reviews on newegg for new high end routers and they seem to do the same thing as well. work for 6 to 12 months and then have to be power cycled about ever day.

what causes this? i did see a thread that mentioned something about heat build up. but my routers are always placed either on a hard flat surface or standing upright in their cradle.

is it a problem with the processor or memory in the router, or is it due to dust build up and it over heats or what?

does anyone have an idea?

i was thinking about taking one of my old routers and extracting the board and putting it in a custom case with some fans it see if that helped as teh first step and then next oi thought i'd try that dd wrt stuff i've been hearing about.

any suggestions?

Its not cool till its watercooled. Fuganater's Avatar

Default Re: tired of resetting my router

Not sure why yours are going bad but I've had the Verizon Modem/Router for like 5 years and have had no issues.

I use a have a linkysis router and haven't had any issues. Had it just over 2 years now.

Like a Lightning Bolt in Your Cheerios! Drum Thumper's Avatar

I'm thinking dust as well. I've got a v3 Linksys that has been 24/7 since Lewis and Clark discovered the Great Falls in what is now Great Falls MT.
    Quote Originally Posted by artoodeeto View Post
    aw heck guys. We're modders. Let's just build our own, shall we?

DrumThumper.net || The Brewing Art ||
    My Flickr Stream

Custom Title Honors

yeah, when i get home tonight i'm going to rip open my netgear router and see what it looks like inside. then the modding begins. if it all works out, then i may tackle my linksys router which is a nice N router. so i want to make sure i can do some good with the old netgear one before i screw up something that was a touch more costly.

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

Custom Title Honors

i had forgotten about that thread, but it won't help anyway. it would have to monitor the wireless led, which doesn't go out. it just sits and blinks when i loose connectivity.

last night i dug out my older netgear router, but it uses torx screws and i couldn't be arsed to walk out to the truck to get my torx bit set. i know it's all of 30 feet to the truck, but i'm a lazy bastard when i get home from work. i'll start taking it apart tonight to check for dust build up.

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

so is it the wireless or the actual DSL connection that goes out?

Custom Title Honors

just the wireless. usually the wired portion still works. it happens, but is pretty rare that i loose both wired and wireless. if i remember right, that is usually when i loose the cable connection to the modem.

from you question about dsl, i guess i should have explained my setup.

i have comcast (xfinity) cable internet. so the signal comes in to my cable modem, then straight to a linksys (right now anyway) router. from the router i have a hard wire going to an 8 port switch which then goes to all the rooms in the house. i installed all the wiring back when wireless was just beginning to become popular and i didn't want to use it yet. right now i have only three pcs hooked up to the wired portion and of them only 2 are on regularly.

for the wireless connections, i have 3 laptops (1 is my roommate's) and 2 pcs. the 2 pcs are off about 90% of the time, so really only the 3 laptops count as far as wireless usage.

2 laptops are at the furthest points from the router but one is almost directly above it maybe 10 or 15 feet away.

I'd suspect power supply or overheating.

A dirty power supply which delivers too many occassional dips and surges will place a little electrical strain on the hardware, cumulative derating of the weakest component until it ultimately fails. Perhaps try plugging it into a different outlet or through a power conditioning or surge protection device or toroids or UPS or whatever; it could simply be inferior service quality and have nothing to do with you, or it could just as easily be caused by the dishwasher or furnace or power tools turning on in another room.

Overheating a WiFi router is really another way of saying "cheap/flawed design" if you're operating the device within specified temp/humidity parameters. Mine gets pretty warm at times, I placed it away from the television and pvr box (it's a cable modem) and keep it propped up over a pair of fat felt pens to allow for slightly better airflow.

You could always lay down some network cabling, bring the box to a more accessible location (possibly also a different outlet and cooler area). Or if you're convinced the box will fail every year anyways then just rent it from your internet provider, they'll send a tech guy to replace it every time you complain about it failing, if you're lucky they might supply you with a high-end unit.

Final option is modding. Improve the cooling, even if you just stick a heatsink on the controller chip or beef up the electrolytics or mount a quiet wimpy little fan. Can't hurt.
    My mind says Technic, but my body says Duplo.

Also, make sure to update the firmware. even new routers often ship with old firmware that can cause an awful lot of issues.
    Not dead yet