Thread: Need heatpipes.. where to buy?!

D'Oh

Default Need heatpipes.. where to buy?!

I've googled "where to buy heatpipe".. nothing satisfactory.. i've searched the forum.. found a thread.. not helpfull... but i still need heatpipes.. and unfortunatelly, salvaging them from other products (as recommended in other forums too..) is imposible.. i need long tubes and as thick as possible (6mm is not very efficient if the length is too big).. so, my question: WHERE CAN I FIND SOME TO BUY?!

|Projects: =N0Name= =Tensa case= || Life: waiting for the download to be completed... BSOD"|

ATX Mental Case

Default Re: Need heatpipes.. where to buy?!

uh.... are you trying to purchase copper rods? because generally that's all heat pipes are. I've never cut one open but on my CNPS9500 the curves look crimped so it may be hollow... anyways check your local hardware store if they don't have anything that is satisfactory to you check out Rio Grande they're a jewelry supply place but I know for a fact that you can get both Silver and Copper pipes or wire (wire can be thick enough to use for a heatpipe)
    Visit my site --> Kansas City LAN and Tech Promo Site <--

Asus A8R-MVP
    AMD Athlon 64 3700+ (2.64ghz)
    ATI Saphire Radeon X1600 Pro x2 crossfire
    Corsair Twinx2048-3500LL

Quote Originally Posted by archmaille
    uh.... are you trying to purchase copper rods? because generally that's all heat pipes are. I've never cut one open but on my CNPS9500 the curves look crimped so it may be hollow... anyways check your local hardware store if they don't have anything that is satisfactory to you check out Rio Grande they're a jewelry supply place but I know for a fact that you can get both Silver and Copper pipes or wire (wire can be thick enough to use for a heatpipe)
    its not just hollow copper, its got like heat conducting gases in it. I dont think that it would be available for purchase, unless someone custom made them for you.

D'Oh

precisely public_eyesore.. i've seen this before.. common mistake.. heatpipes (not "copperpipes"..) are made from hollow tubes (not necesarily copper) filled with a wick structure (either some porous material, expanded metal or sintered powder) and a fluid chosen for the particular thermal gradient.. the pipe is held at a lower pressure so that the fluid can evaporate easily.. when the fluids heats up from the processor beneath it evaporates and goes "up" (the porous wick helps the fluid go tru the pipe against the force of gravity and in any direction, determined by difference in concentration of the fluid) where it is cooled by the fin assembly.. so, i need to either buy heatpipes or make 'em.. but i can't really make 'em casue i dont have porous expanded metal... and that is beyond me by far.. (i may get away with a textile material.. but efficiency is lost ).. anyways.. cooler makers get their pipes from somewhere.. i just want some fro the manufacturer...... help me..

|Projects: =N0Name= =Tensa case= || Life: waiting for the download to be completed... BSOD"|

I believe that that the heatpipes are very specific to the application they are being applied to, and because of that I have a feeling you will have a hard time locating a "generic" type heat pipe. The manufactures are probably contracting a manufacture to build thousands of heatpipes specifically taylored to their product. Who those manufacturers are?? I have no idea.. Good luck with your search, I would really like to know if you find some..

Thanks

some custom title eh Cannibal23's Avatar

have you tried just asking the company thats useing them for example maybe try calling thermaltake and see if you can get the answer out of them.
    - The stone knows not why the chistle cleves it
    - The steel knows not why the fire scorches it
    - When thy life is cleft and scorched
    - Curse not thine evil fate
    - Thank the builder for the trials that shape thee.

D'Oh

well.. a bit hard to do from another continent.. cant really try that.. and there is no close firm.. maybe zalman.. actually, it is a good idea, but i never did that and i dont really have the "guts" to do it thats whay i thoguth you guys could help me out :| and it would be funny calling anyone.. as i am trying to build something much better than their products