Thread: 2nd dead cdrom?

Default 2nd dead cdrom?

Basically upgraded the PSU, MB, and RAM. Since they I have gone through 2 DVDroms. They will not light up, they show up in my computer but fail to operate. Think im shorting them somehow?

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Default Re: 2nd dead cdrom?

Did they work on this computer before and then stop working or did they just never work? Do they work on any other computers? If so, do they eject on this computer? It sounds like they might not be getting power.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

100% Recycled Pixels. Twigsoffury's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Notyab View Post
    Basically upgraded the PSU, MB, and RAM. Since they I have gone through 2 DVDroms. They will not light up, they show up in my computer but fail to operate. Think im shorting them somehow?
    is it a dusty enviroment? Man you get any dust on the lens and it'll stop reading properly and just eject media.

You can also connect the analog CD-Audio out (not the SPD/IF deal on DVD roms) to any set of low power speakers or stereo and play music CD's directly from the rom isolated from the computer

Is it a SATA interface or a PATA (IDE) ?? them IDE cables can go bad when people go yanking on the connector and it baaareeelly separates from the ribbon.

well after your suggestion of power it got me thinking that had somethign to do with it since it did show up. the power cable adapted for a 4pin and the yellow (power) was loose. works great now lol *smack forehead

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Haha, good to hear it was something simple.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Its not cool till its watercooled. Fuganater's Avatar

I had the same issue but with some cold cathodes. It happens alot when using cheap products or connectors. (My cold cathodes are Logisys which are cheap)