Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone good with geometry?

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

Default Anyone good with geometry?

I need some help to find a mounting location for the linear actuator for my Maximum Security mod. I need help figuring out where it needs to be mounted on both the chassis and the door so that it will close fully and open 90º minimum. If anyone's interested I'll get all the measurements and post them up.

Local laser guy! Collinstheclown's Avatar

Default Re: Anyone good with geometry?

Are there pics in the worklog? I'll take a look when I get home tonight, everything is blocked at work!

I'm no math genius, but I might be able to come up with something.

there are a few, but I don't have the measurements and stroke of the actuator posted anywhere. I know the stroke is 50mm, but I'm not sure wha tthe full open and full closed lengths are. I'll get them at some point tonight

That's about 2" ({1.97}for anyone else reading) which isn't much to work with. How big and where is the door on that thing?? I haven't seen that case in person so I'm not to familiar with it.

Actually, Newegg to the rescue again! I see how the door works now. Let me think it over a bit, I'll let you know if I can think of anything...

EDIT: Nevermind. This is wrong. I also didn't even have the correct dimensions.
    Not exactly sure how you're mounting it, since it makes a huge difference, but try sketching it out on paper. [strike]Start with point A to the left and measure point B 98mm along a straight line to the right. From A, scribe an arc with radius of 48mm (closed length) in quadrant I, assuming A is 0,0. From B, scribe an intersecting arc with radius of 98mm (open length) from A to previous arc. Where the two arcs intersect is point C, which is where the actuator should be mounted on the door. Drop a line straight down from C to line AB. The intersection is D, the door hinge. [/strike]
    I would use 2-sided tape to mount the actuator for testing before you start drilling...I make frequent mistakes and my trig is rusty!
    The size of your mounting brackets/device needs to be taken into consideration to get an accurate solution.

If you want to do the math, keep in mind:
    a^2 + b^2 = c^2
    sin(x)=opposite/hypotenuse
    cos(x)=adjacent/hypotenuse
    tan(x)=opposite/adjacent
    I'll procrastinate tomorrow.

Uhhh...new post. That last one cannot be saved...
    When the door opens to 90*, the position simply translates around 90*. It's as simple as that. I have no idea wtf I was thinking above, but my math was way off and turned out to be skewing the position of the door mounting point. Simply mount the actuator to the case, open the door to 90*, fully extend the actuator, mount it to the door, run the actuator back to close. There must be something that complicates the matter, so I'll wait for a reply.

I'd still temporarily mount the actuator with 2 sided tape though.
    I'll procrastinate tomorrow.

I'm drawing the actuator and the part of the case in sketchup right now, including the mount

Can you post the .skp file when you make it? I have an idea, but I need to see the size compared to the case

ask an ye shall receive

there's an extended actuator and a closed actuator, as well as the case and door. if you use the spin tool on the "X" on the top of the hinge it will move the door about the hinge

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehou...56511cb4f8fcb3