Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New to modding, first case... ideas needed

Custom Title Honors

Default Re: New to modding, first case... ideas needed

i would recommend spending a bit more than just going out and getting the $25 radioshack solder iron. yes they are cheap and yes the tips are cheap and easy to replace, but if you spend a bit more and get a quality solder station, you will be way happier. the radioshack solder irons take forever to heat up and then the tips wear out very quickly, even with proper maintenance.

i would suggest this one http://www.stanleysupplyservices.com...spx?pn=131-185

it's only 50 bones and weller is a quality name to go with. plus you can get all the parts individually if anything stops working. it's definitely a tool that you will be happy to keep around for a long long time.

i would also recommend getting some solder that uses water soluble flux. that makes clean up very easy. you just take your circuit board over to the sink and scrub it with a plastic bristle brush and soapy water, then let it dry out.

so i replied, or so i thought, but must have hit advanced. Anyway, it looks great! I'm getting it tomorrow. Now, LED's.. Should i just go to Ebay or some other shop online. I need about 10 orange redish leds. Maybe more. So, if i can get 20 or so for a good price i might just go with that. Lastly, anyone recommend some paint for doing my Ram?

Its not cool till its watercooled. Fuganater's Avatar

LEDs are cheap. LEDSHOPPE.com

got my Weller, some LEDs to test out and a couple of other things for soldering.

My sleeving should be here tomorrow. Have the day off so i can work on that.

Gonna go to radio shack today to pick up a printed circuit board to practice with soldering and the sort on. Wish me luck! haha.

Oh, and i checked out ledshoppe.com, and i cant decide between the amber, orange or red. I have red and orange dye for my LC, but its UV reactive, so i would like to utilize that as well. So, i need uv LEDs? :-\ Anywhoo, much better price there than at radioshack or Microcenter. The three amber LEDs i picked up to try were $1.49. Haha, lame.

Custom Title Honors

the main thing to remember when soldering is to melt the solder on what you are soldering, not on the tip of the solder iron. that's the easiest way to keep from making a cold solder joint.

good luck with the soldering. you'll be much happier with that weller than if you had got a radio shack solder iron.

It worked great, just want a new smaller tip. The one it comes with is kinda bulky. Idk. Anywhoo, it did a great job and I made a little project kit with it to try my hand at soldering and de-soldering. I even got to test out my leds I am going to go with for the mod on the front LEDS. Or so i think... I want to use some UV LEDs... so idk if these will work, gotta look into that more. Anyway here are some pics.

My first solder job!?

The Kit....

With new LED (amber orange)

Anywhoo, i like the color. I found some UV leds for decently cheap, but i have to buy 1000 of them so, if anyone wants some uv leds let me know. Haha . I might just go to ebay, but maybe not. Anyway, gonna just mix and match i guess.

Cheers, and until later.

Akzorz

Real fast, ebayed some leds, i dont need 1000 of them, nor do i want to sell them, so i am doing the $3 and free shipping deal, haha. I get 50 so it should be plenty.

Its not cool till its watercooled. Fuganater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by akzorz View Post
    Real fast, ebayed some leds, i dont need 1000 of them, nor do i want to sell them, so i am doing the $3 and free shipping deal, haha. I get 50 so it should be plenty.
    Sounds like a China deal. FYI those types of things take 5-6 weeks for you to receive your product. They are good though. I've bought things and it was well worth the wait.

Custom Title Honors

not necessarily. i got a cheap ass deal like that from a place that was in canada.

that solder work looks great. even better than most jobs i've seen experienced engineers do. good job.