Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Netflix anounces price increase for all accounts. No more $9 Streaming and DVDs

If you can't hack it, you don't own it! Oneslowz28's Avatar

Default Netflix anounces price increase for all accounts. No more $9 Streaming and DVDs

Just wanted to pass this along to everyone. It affected me by almost $8 after taxes. So since I do not stream much, I went to the 3 DVD only plan.

http://blog.netflix.com/2011/07/netf...plans-and.html

Basically they are splitting the DVD and Streaming plans and charging $7.99 each for them. So if you use to pay $9 you will now be paying $16 for both and if you get more than 1 DVD at a time the price continues to go up.

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Default Re: Netflix anounces price increase for all accounts. No more $9 Streaming and DVDs

They changed them a while back too, but to much more reasonable prices. That's weird that they're effectively doubling the price of what I would imagine is the most popular plan. I actually went the opposite direction of you and went just streaming.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Default Re: Netflix anounces price increase for all accounts. No more $9 Streaming and DVDs

Well for some, this will save a hundred+ dollars a year, for others who need both features it will cost an extra hundred+. The original post on Google+ that Chris Parillo posted got about 200 comments in just a few minutes and most said that they switched to just streaming. I was paying about $24/month and now that I removed streaming I am only paying $15 for 3 dvds at a time bringing my annual cost of $288 down to $180. If I down grade to 2 dvds at a time @ $11/month I will effectively save $156 a year over what I have been paying for the last 2 years.

Netflix also dropped windows media center / player support. My frined Sean Kalinich covered it on his site.
    http://www.decryptedtech.com/index.p...mce&Itemid=180

WWMD- What Would MacGyver Do? Mark_Hardware's Avatar

I still use WMC for Netflix...

I believe this is a first step in Netflix phasing out the DVD portion of their service. I read an article a while back that said eventually Netflix wants to be streaming only, as the cost effectiveness of dvd shipping decreases.
    My name is Mark Hardware, and I approved this message.

Project; Mark1
    (On hold until......)

It was good while it lasted. It'll eventually get higher and higher. Netflix actually uses a very good portion of the bandwidth for everyone's ISP. They are quite a heavy load. With that the data usage is high when you add up each subscriber.

With companies threatening to charge them for usage because of their bandwidth, and with usage rights and things along those lines going up for them, at some point, they have to carry the cost of the burden to someone... and that would be the customer.

Its not cool till its watercooled. Fuganater's Avatar

Ya I told my wife to cancel our streaming and just do 4 DVD's. Save a few bucks.

At peak hours Netflix streaming makes up 20% of all US internet bandwidth. I will leave that math up to someone else.

Custom Title Honors

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Hardware View Post
    I believe this is a first step in Netflix phasing out the DVD portion of their service. I read an article a while back that said eventually Netflix wants to be streaming only, as the cost effectiveness of dvd shipping decreases.
    Agreed. I was reading a thread (or whatever they're called) on Google+ about this, and someone brought up a good point (albeit, I think, accidentally). Basically, they said that they were going to drop the DVD portion of their plan and use Redbox instead. What I think a lot of people aren't considering is...maybe that's exactly what Netflix wants people to do. I saw an interview with the creator of Netflix a while back, talking about the past and future plans for the company. What he said then was that the goal had always been to be a streaming-only company, but that when they launched the rights-holders weren't ready to support streaming. As they now get more and more of their library available for streaming it makes sense that they will start phasing out the physical DVD service. Not only does it streamline their business model, I'm sure the DVD service costs a lot more to run than the streaming service. With Redbox becoming more prolific, it makes sense that they might try and offload some of their DVD customers onto them. Besides, from the customer's point of view isn't Redbox better? If you just make sure you return the disc the next day, it only costs you $1 per disc, so unless you get more than 8 discs a month it's cheaper than the Netflix 1-at-a-time plan. You don't have to wait for the disc to come in the mail, you just pop over to the nearest box that has the disc you want and go. IDK about anyone else, but 90%+ of my movie/etc watching is on impulse. If I have to wait for a few days to watch something, chances are I'll just watch something else instead. The only reason I could see it not filling the void is for older and obscure titles that Redbox might not carry.

Quote Originally Posted by Oneslowz28 View Post
    At peak hours Netflix streaming makes up 20% of all US internet bandwidth.
    Mwuahahaha! Yees...dance, my pretties, DANCE!
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV