Thread: HOW TO: Download and use Google SketchUp

Rankenphile

Default HOW TO: Download and use Google SketchUp

Google recently purchased the popular 3D modelling program, SketchUp, and has released a FREE version to the public. I've written up a tutorial article for the frontpage on where to download it, and I walk you through the basics in a guide covering the first tutorial that comes bundled, step by step. This is the first in a series I will be doing for TBCS - the next will be going through the next two tutorials, then going over creating a few basic and advanced shapes from scratch and importing textures and models, then we'll be moving on to actually modelling a computer case to plan for a case mod.

Please take a look, this is the second article I've written for the front page and appreciate any constructive criticism you could provide. Thanks!

Default Re: HOW TO: Download and use Google SketchUp

I've seen a lot of people using this, is there any reason I should want to look into it if I'm already using a program like TrueSpace (A full 3D rendering package) or would it be a step down from that?

Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather
    is there any reason I should want to look into it
    Well, I can see a reason, based on these forums.
    If we all use the same program, we can share models among ourselves. So, you have a nice CDROM model, you can post it and share. Someone else models a heatsink, fan, power supply, whatever. We can all share what we made.

I wonder if I can get it running with linux...

Hmmm, well if I could just convince everyone to use Truespace or 3DS (not max) we could do that too.

From what I've seen of this program, it's rather limited in its rendering abilities.

Rankenphile

It is, but you can import 3DS models into it. It is pretty much the MSPaint of 3D programs - very simple to use, but not exactly advanced in it's rendering and other features.

Overclocked

Wow! Thanks for this wonderful program! And for the other software names, like Truespace or 3DS! Itll help me alot in my case designing, well at least it'll be more precise than Paint, since I cant handle Photoshop good enuf to make 3d rendering

There IS a free version of TrueSpace by the way, the oldest version, like TS1.0 or something, it's not great but, I imagine it's on par with Sketchup. Might be worth adding to your arsenal.

cooler than the other side of the pillow dfigravity's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rankenphile View Post
    Google recently purchased the popular 3D modelling program, SketchUp, and has released a FREE version to the public. I've written up a tutorial article for the frontpage on where to download it, and I walk you through the basics in a guide covering the first tutorial that comes bundled, step by step. This is the first in a series I will be doing for TBCS - the next will be going through the next two tutorials, then going over creating a few basic and advanced shapes from scratch and importing textures and models, then we'll be moving on to actually modelling a computer case to plan for a case mod.

Please take a look, this is the second article I've written for the front page and appreciate any constructive criticism you could provide. Thanks!
    well I have to say hats off to you my friend...this is one heck of an article! I'll pass any constructive criticism on if there is any, but I appreciate the time taken to write that thing. Can't wait to get my hands dirty with sketchup!
    There is no 'ctrl' button on Chuck Norris's computer. Chuck Norris is always in control.