Thread: Newb Retro Radio Mod- need starting point

Fresh Paint

Question Newb Retro Radio Mod- need starting point

Okay, So I'm building a new machine this fall and I'm inspired by a pic I found for a Zenith 829 radio, circa 1930.

I want to make a case that takes from this basic layout, but not straight up copy. I think I have an idea what I want the sides to look like, (both, since this will be on a table, and visible from both sides) but having trouble coming up with what the front panel should look like.
    Also, as of right now, I do not have a case, however, I'm seriously considering picking up an Antec 300.

Also, I'm not sure exactly HOW I want to go about this. Two possibilities: I take 1/8 craft paneling and use the base case, but essentially "decorate" or I could try and make a case cozy out of wood and whatnot, and slip it over the top. I'm asking what you guys (and gals) think would be easier for a semi-competent weekend warrior and his son to do.

So I have three questions here: 1. Can you guys throw some front panel ideas at me? (considering the answer to #2)
    2. Do you recommend or not recommend the Antec 300?
    3. What is easiest approach?

Sorry if I've left off any important information... still trying to get my head around what it is I'm about to do.

THANKS!

Its not cool till its watercooled. Fuganater's Avatar

Default Re: Newb Retro Radio Mod- need starting point

Its your idea so I would suggest running with it in SketchUp and see what you come up with. You could do maybe a strip of wood on each side and recreate the "silver grill" ontop of some mesh or material. Then you can put fans behind it. Knobs could be your fan controls. The dial in the front could be a resivour hole where you can see our liquid level.

Still. Throw something into SketchUp or another program and lets see your ideas. If your no good at that then do some drawings.

Fresh Paint

Default Re: Newb Retro Radio Mod- need starting point

Hmmm. So you're saying model the front after the middle area with the dial and knobs. I had planned on making the two sides of the case look something like the front of this radio. But I think I like the idea of wooden side panels, then the front of the case look like the middle section with the chrome.

Yes, drawings are in order.

THANKS
    -JP

FYI. This will be a new i7, air-cooled machine.
    The 300 has two fan mounts in front, and I planned on filling them both with fans.