Page 15 of 25 FirstFirst ... 51011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: My Summer Project

Default Re: My Summer Project

I'm so dense! I know how to make the lights look blocky while still keeping the kind of lighting I have.

I can't believe it hadn't come to me before. It's so simple!

Blargh, I can't do it until I come back from classes, otherwise I'll get distracted and won't go. Expect a change later.

And the new lighting in. I whacked at a few blocks to show the cracking. The texture sucks and will be improved at some point but I wanted to get a base functionality in, and worry about polish later.

I went back to compiling for DX10+ gpu's only (according to Steam's Hardware survey that is 95% of the market) because the lower setting doesn't allow me to use the screenshot function I wrote, as the lower function doesn't allow you get get access directly to the backbuffer.

This is only a problem if when the game released I was magically accepted by Steam, as I don't think they allow two different executeables. If I just release the game as a standard release then I can just include two compiled versions, one with whatever extra bells and whistles and a version that would run on integrated graphics.

The evolution is incredible. It's really starting to look like a game. I can't believe I've actually come this far.

The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar

Now I'm willing to go buy it.

Once you get the objective down, that is.
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

Tri.fecta

Thanks. As always, it means a lot to see you guys post. It is encouraging.

We are getting closer to the first Alpha that I will release to playtesters. I want to get more blocks drawn up for all the different regions so you at least have some more areas to explore even if they aren't fully developed. Get chests working, which should be simple based on the code I've already written. The main thing is getting the crafting in, which isn't that hard as I've got the basis already done. I just need to create a structure to hold the recipes, draw them to the right places, and handle the input when you are in the crafting menu.

When those things are in and working, along with a few other minor things, I will release an Alpha for people to playtest for me. It will be like Indev on Minecraft, where you can explore the world, gather blocks, create a few things, and build using any of the blocks you've found or crafted. So it won't be an action-packed hack-and-slash fest, but it will be great for adventuring.

I'm thinking at that point I will create a video and write up a well thought out post about the game and what the release gameplay will be, and post it on Minecraft and Terraria's forums. At that point I should get a good idea whether the game really has a chance, or if it was just a good addition to my resume. Either way, I will continue to push the game to where I imagined it as the initial reason for me making the game was to make the game I wanted to play.

Cobblestone blocks and walls are in. Until I get the crafting system in you have to inventory edit to get the different walls and such, but they are in the game nonetheless.

800x600 in the basement of the house.

1680x1050 showing the entire house.

By popular request, different colored cobblestone:

I may have it so you craft these by using normal cobblestone and paint.

The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar

Wait, what language are you programming this in?

If it's C/C++, I got a working Linux compiler.
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

Tri.fecta

C# with XNAs libraries so Windows only. When I started this, all my experience was in console/command line applications, so this was a nice way for me to abstract a lot of the drawing aspects of game programming.

On another note, crafting is on its way to being integrated into the game. The recipe structure is all in. The UI knows what base tab you are on, and what tier tab you are on, and accesses the recipe list for that particular type/tier combo. These images are from the game naturally doing its thing.

I will add more recipes as I go. I'm worrying about the underlying code before content at the moment. It's simple to add recipes, just a little tedious.

What is left is to add the left-right page buttons and show them if there are more items than fit on one page. Then, check which crafting item you've clicked on and load the item into the bottom block along with what items make up the recipe. If you left click on the item, and you have all the necessary items, then draw the item at your pointer. Continue holding and it adds more of the same item to the stack if the item is stackable. Right click the desired item and it will decrement the number in the stack; hold to continue to decrease. When you left click on an open spot in your inventory, or a spot containing the same item that isn't a full stack, then add the item(s) to your inventory and remove the needed materials. If the item is a weapon or armor piece, only calculate the random stats once it has been added to the inventory. No cheating the system.

The hard part is done. Now its just recognizing input and responding to that. A few more draw calls. Then the tedium of creating all the different recipes.

Getting there. It now tracks and handles which item within the tab you have clicked on, draws a highlight so you can tell which is selected, and loads the item you want to make down bottom with all the items that are necessary to make it.

Currently highlighting a slot that doesn't contain a recipe. Therefore nothing shows down bottom.

Highlighting Miscellaneous/Tier 1/Page 1/Item 1, which happens to be a torch. So it loads the torch down bottom, and loads the items that are needed to make the torch: wood and coal.

Just need to draw the quantities needed, handle clicking on the wanted item, and adding to the inventory when you drop that into your inventory.