Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 15202122232425

Thread: My Summer Project

Default Re: My Summer Project

I'm so excited. College ends in a couple days, and I have a week before I start my new job. I've been looking through the code and seeing where I need to start looking to make changes to get the weapon animation working and synced, and I will start there once school is complete.

Oh, how I have missed you little big project.

The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar

*clap**clap**clap**clap**clap**clap**clap**clap**c lap**clap**clap**clap**clap**clap**clap**clap**cla p**clap**clap**clap**clap**clap**clap**clap**clap* *clap**clap**clap**clap**clap**clap**clap**clap**c lap**clap**clap**clap**clap*
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

Tri.fecta

I've taken some time to really sit down and think about why progress has been so slow lately. I could just say that it is because I have maybe two hours a night in free time after working all day, but even that wouldn't be the true reason : which is the art. I went down a road and limited myself. I've spent a large amount of time figuring out what I wanted to change, why, and how to go about that change.

The project is being forked, with the current version on hold. I'm currently looking into switching to Unity to give me access to Windows, Browsers, Linux, iOS, and Android vs just Windows, and giving me more options graphically. If Unity isn't right for me, I will go back to XNA but the game is going to have a radical change either way.

The game itself will be less of a "Terraria clone", and something more unique and inline with my original vision. It will still have elements of Minecraft/Terraria meets Zelda:aLttP meets Diablo, but it won't feel like a clone of Terraria.

Think Zelda:aLttP type overworld littered with dungeons and caves that can be entered. These dungeons can have multiple floors, link to different areas of the overworld, and be mineable. But, instead of the mineable areas existing on a vertical plane, they will be on a horizontal plane more akin to old school dungeon crawlers where you explore one floor, find stairs, and can potentially continue down to the next level. The same kind of action-rpg combat and loot, but again, on a horizontal plane instead of vertical.

This may stifle a little bit of the creativity you see with creations in Minecraft and Terraria, but my goal has always been to give some sandbox elements but in a more structured and focused game. Starting fresh will take some time, but at the very least I am no longer completely frustrated and depressed by the art, and am motivated to finally get back into this.

Maybe I'll just have to go back to XNA and just rework my code. I've spent all weekend thusfar going through Unity and trying to figure out how to approach what I want to do and can't for the life of me figure out how to use the damn thing. I've walked through tutorials and once I try and do something that hasn't been explicitly explained I'm completely lost.

I can program pretty much anything I need, it just takes time, but using these darn development kit environments I just get completely and entirely lost. Bleh.

Don't feel too bad, Fatal Optimization is getting a clean slate redo, as VX Ace came out and gave me the power I really wanted. It took me only a night of coding to redo six months of work, and with much better results, to boot.
    Project:Mithril, sponsored by Petra's Tech Shop and Sidewinder Computers-MOTM Nominee October '08

Yeah, my brain just isn't wired for these visual styled applications. It just got frustrating because everyone told me how easy it was, but I just couldn't get it. It doesn't help that it didn't look like anyone had really tried what I was wanting to do.

I'm comfortable with XNA's libraries so I'll just continue using that. I've got to make a ton of art for this before I dive into code again, otherwise I'll just end up in the same spot, almost done with the code, but not nearly enough content and assets.

See, it's the opposite for me. As an artist, I can work with what I can see. What I can't see is nigh on impossible.

However, I'm working apace, actually getting some really good effects in this time. We'll see how it goes.
    Project:Mithril, sponsored by Petra's Tech Shop and Sidewinder Computers-MOTM Nominee October '08