Thread: Laptop Heat. . .on a wall?

Fresh Paint

Default Laptop Heat. . .on a wall?

So I want to mix art and tech, and massacre my oldest laptop to do it. I'm thinking I want to completely remove all casing and mount the motherboard, cd rom, lcd screen, etc, on the wall. Still operational.
    What I'm wondering is, the laptop is about 5 years old (at least), so it doesnt have the best in heat reduction. Anyone know what (if anything) I should worry about when hanging it on a wall painted with normal wall paint?
    Should I mount the pieces on some sort of heat resistant material and then hang the whole thing on the wall?
    I work cheap retail, so money is definitely an issue. . .
    Thnx in advance for any tips or ideas!

Fresh Paint

Default Re: Laptop Heat. . .on a wall?

Oh, and if anyone knows if i'll have to bypass any safeguards the cd-rom might have on it, since it'll be open air?

you might just get a cheap sheet of Plexi to mount it to, that way you can move the entire computer and not worry about unplugging a ton of cables to take it down to service it.
    Not dead yet

Fresh Paint

Is plexi pretty good at not transferring heat? I mean, it's just a basic laptop, nothing high performance, but i'd like not to have withered paint on the wall when I move out ;-)
    And btw, thanks for the speedy reply!

Welcome to TBCS!
    I really don't think it will get hot enough to damage paint. A piece of acrylic (plexi) will definitely prevent any heat damage while keeping everything conveniently mounted together.
    Also, don't forget to post pics!
    I'll procrastinate tomorrow.