Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cycles off, then on, then off, etc

Over 75 Custom PC's in 20 years TheGreatSatan's Avatar

Default Cycles off, then on, then off, etc

This is already in my worklog, but I thought I'd ask here too

I just put four 4GB DIMMS in my new ZX Gold PC. Before I had the RAM I was using a single stick of Kingston RAM in slot number one and it was flawless. When all four slots are occupied with memory the computer would cycle on and off every few seconds.

I press the power button and it turns on for 2 seconds, then shuts off for two seconds, and then it's on again, over and over dozens of times till I kill the master switch on the PSU

I tried every combination of the memory and it runs fine when slots two, three and four are occupied. It's only when I put the fourth stick in slot one that the rebooting cycle begins. I know the RAM is fine, because I've tried them all, each alone in slot number one and it boots just fine. I read the manual and it appears that the system will still run in dual channel with 3 slots occupied, so it seems that this system will just have to do with only 12GB instead of 16.

Ever seen this?
    WH1T3 0U7
    Modified Thermaltake View 37
    Intel 9900K, MSI Z390A, 128GB (32GB x4) GSkill Royal 3200MHz, RTX 3080 Vision, EVGA Nu Audio, 1TB Silicon Power SSD, EVGA 1300G2, ID cooling 360mm AiO, LG 3440 x 1440

Its not cool till its watercooled. Fuganater's Avatar

Default Re: Cycles off, then on, then off, etc

Rage does this now kinda. It turns on, then off, then on. Sometimes off twice. After 1 or 2 times off it does boot. I haven't had time to investigate.

Its not cool till its watercooled. Fuganater's Avatar

Also whats the max RAM for 7 Pro? I know each 64bit version has a different limit.

EDIT: NVM...

Starter: 8GB
    Home Basic: 8GB
    Home Premium: 16GB
    Professional: 192GB
    Enterprise: 192GB
    Ultimate: 192GB

wow... I have pro and I can have THAT much ram?? giggity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    ber is id elicous
    Centurion 5 Mod <<--- ON HOLD FOR THE WINTER

I know it's not the OS because it never even gets to the post screen. And I know the board can handle 32 gigs
    WH1T3 0U7
    Intel 9900K, MSI Z390A, 128GB (32GB x4) GSkill Royal 3200MHz, RTX 3080 Vision, EVGA Nu Audio, 1TB Silicon Power SSD, EVGA 1300G2, ID cooling 360mm AiO, LG 3440 x 1440

RAM can be a tricky thing. Sometimes they can be optimized for Intel or AMD chipsets like my current modules. Mine are optimized for P55, and don't run as well on my 890fx. Every once in a while my PC goes to start, powers off, and then powers back on before POSTing which didn't happen with my old RAM. It's never failed to boot though. It sounds similar to what's happening with yours. Might be something to look into.
    Check the timings, voltage and all that if you can. JEDEC doesn't always work correctly. Manually set the proper voltage, lower frequency, and loose timings to see if that helps. Most boards can't run gargantuan amounts of RAM at maximum rated speed.
    I'll procrastinate tomorrow.

It's all 1333. It's actually triple channel memory, but that shouldn't matter. Ram is Ram, no matter how it's bundled for sale
    WH1T3 0U7

Another thing. The manual calls for 1.5V, but I'm using 1.65V. Does it really matter?
    WH1T3 0U7

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatSatan View Post
    Another thing. The manual calls for 1.5V, but I'm using 1.65V. Does it really matter?
    Yeah, RAM is very sensitive to voltage. Run it at what the manufacturer specs and not much more...even when OC'ing.
    I'll procrastinate tomorrow.

Can you change the Voltage in bios? Try to clock it down like the suggestion above. Had that issue with my old intel board.