Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying a truck and I have a question for you paint guys

Default Buying a truck and I have a question for you paint guys

The roof needs sanded and primed. It is a 93 dakota with the typical rust on the roof and starting to on the hood. Question is do I tape it off sand it with some fine grit on an orbital and spray bomb it with a can or do I go this route
    Regedit'ed, Rooted, and Jailbroke anymore questions?
    Here’s a bumper sticker I’d like to see: “We are the proud parents of a child who’s self-esteem is sufficient that he doesn’t need us promoting his minor scholastic achievements on the back of our car.”

Default Re: Buying a truck and I have a question for you paint guys

maybe this would be better

Here’s a bumper sticker I’d like to see: “We are the proud parents of a child who’s self-esteem is sufficient that he doesn’t need us promoting his minor scholastic achievements on the back of our car.”

I guess it depends on how good you are with a rattle can...

LOL!
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...

I have done plenty of rattle can work, but not on something important as body work

Local laser guy! Collinstheclown's Avatar

It's an 18 year old truck, hit it with sand paper and rattle can it. I've seen really nice paint jobs with spray paint before. Use duplicolor, it's better for automotive.

Quote Originally Posted by Collinstheclown View Post
    It's an 18 year old truck, hit it with sand paper and rattle can it. I've seen really nice paint jobs with spray paint before. Use duplicolor, it's better for automotive.
    theres a few places around here that have auto grade stuff in rattle can but at the price they are asking I might as well buy a spray gun and learn how to paint haha.

I've painted my last 2 plow trucks with Rustoleum oil enamel thinned with laquer thinner and a spray gun. But then again I already had the gun. A well done cheap spray job will usually hold up better than a rattle can. That being said my dad and I painted my first car with rattle cans and it held up pretty damn good because we used appliance paint. Down side to appliance paint is limited colors. I'd say it depends on what kind of results you're after. Price wise if you have access to a spray gun it can be done cheaper than spray cans, you'll always need a lot more of them than you'd think. Rattle cans it's easy to do spot repairs in the future and get a good match. Yup I'm not helping much here other than give a little info.
    Quote Originally Posted by SXRguyinMA View Post
    Now, off to the basement to do some fiddling with the rods and such.
    so far left of center i'm in right field

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Do you already have an air compressor? Because if you do, then I think buying a cheap spray gun would be cheaper than using rattle cans. If not, the cans will probably be cheaper. Another thing you should consider is if you expect to have a use for a spray gun again later. It may be worth the initial investment if you expect to use it more than once.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

If it isn't stock, it's modded! slaveofconvention's Avatar

Every modder should own a compressor imo lol - every computer nut should - they pay for themselves in cans of air in no time at all. I'd definitely go with the gun method - rattle cans have woefully small amounts of paint in them. Having said all of that, please bear in mind that, from my point of view it's a no-brainer because I already have the compressor, guns, thinners, clear etc so I could literally do a full respray and it'd cost me about $100 (well the first one - after that I'd have some restocking to do lol)

Current Projects: Lobo | Unimatrix | High Voltage | Antec 900 Revamp (Phase 2)
    Completed Projects: General Lee | Synergy Green | Liquid Yellow
    Planned Projects: K-9-PC | Limey

Its not cool till its watercooled. Fuganater's Avatar

Regardless of what you do sand the hell out of it. Do what they used to do back in the 60's and have a sanding party! Throw some down some beers with your boys and sand away.