Thread: Lost space? 0_o

Default Lost space? 0_o

I have an Intel 80gb SSD and I noticed something wierd when I was clearing up disk space. If I go to my computer it says: "7,31GB free of 74,4GB" but if I mark all the folders/files on the drive and click properties it says that their total size is 60,8GB.

74,4-60,8=13,6

Does anyone know what happened to the 6GB in between those?

Thanks in advance.

P.S. I've turned on "show hidden files/folders"
    Projects: RGB Tower - Custom CPU water block

Watching someone else use your computer is like watching a drunk orangutan solve a rubix cube. They have no idea what they're doing and you just wish they'd hand you the damn thing so you can do it yourself.
    -TheOatmeal

Custom Title Honors

Default Re: Lost space? 0_o

computers report different sizes depending on where you look.

also the size on disk is different than the space actually taken up due to slack space.

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

I'm guessing that one place is displaying GB and one is displaying GiB, even though the labels don't differentiate. Here's mine to show a similar thing. Notice the difference between the 'used space', 'size', and 'size on disk', and the difference between the 'size' and 'size on disk' in "GB" and in bytes.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

In addition to GB/GiB conversion, formatting uses some overhead as well. The actual usable disk space is always ~8-10% less than what it says on the box. Your OS consumes a bit more (especially if it's any of the latest flavors from MS)...some of which might not be reported as usable if it's your main drive.
    I'll procrastinate tomorrow.

You're right x88x.
    Thanks for the help guys
    Projects: RGB Tower - Custom CPU water block

Watching someone else use your computer is like watching a drunk orangutan solve a rubix cube. They have no idea what they're doing and you just wish they'd hand you the damn thing so you can do it yourself.
    -TheOatmeal

100% Recycled Pixels. Twigsoffury's Avatar

right click your recycle bin

click properties

now adjust the reserved space. by default its 9% of your total hard drive space.

you can also adjust the system restore size per drive as well. i think thats another 4% on top of that

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

You can also disable hibernation if you never use it. That'll save a bit of space.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV