Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Java programming

Custom Title Honors BuzzKillington's Avatar

Default Java programming

Anyone have any sources to teach yourself? I don't have time for school right now but I'd like to learn. What books did you use? Video tutorials? Thanks guys.
    PS3: CaptBuzzCooler

I come from a land down under. simon275's Avatar

Default Re: Java programming

One forum that is great to start for getting help with Java is code ranch.

http://www.coderanch.com/forums

Another great website is the actual Sun website
    http://download.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/

If you are new to programming or want a basic Java book then this is regarded as the best beginner book on Stack Overflow.
    Need a sig

One of the best things about learning to program in Java is that it follows the object-oriented paradigm to its natural conclusion - the whole Java runtime environment is object oriented. The syntax is very useful as well, because it's pretty much the same as c#, which is great if you want to develop for a Microsoft platform too.

Where to start? Well, first things first, you'll need an IDE, and Sun recommends NetBeans (though personally I think NetBeans is hateful).

Because I only did Java at uni, I can't help that much with tutorials, but these things look good

I'm 100% new to java so I'm looking for a book(s) to get me through from the absolute beginning. I don't have time for school so I wont have a teacher there to explain the meanings of foreign terms in the first chapter so it really needs to be dumbed down, Barney style.

For now I'll read through those sites but I study better with a physical book. Thanks again guys.

While I appreciate that other people learn differently, programming is horrible to learn from a book - let's face it, half of what we do when we program is copying and pasting, and it's nice to see the syntax in front of you like that without having to type it out.

I checked my notes and this was our recommended text.

Also recommended were:
    this
    this bad boy
    and this

One thing I would say is, just make sure you're getting a text for non-programmers and you'll be fine.

Bear in mind that getting things to display on screen with Java is actually a little tricky, you'll spend a lot of time in the console at first, and just take baby steps.

You're awesome dude.

Head First Java 2nd Edition.

Really fun, but the puzzles are annoying when you're doing them by yourself.

i'll help you cheat

http://www.visu.uwlax.edu/~riley/

link to my prof's site, he posts all his lectures in ppt format on there. as well as the assignments. cs 120 is the introduction to java course. hope that helps.
    Not dead yet

Unlocked/Overclocked/Never Stock

For learning Java for the first time with a project-based approach, I recommend Objects First with Java: A Practical Introduction with BlueJ, 4th Edition by David Barnes & Micheal Kolling. This (in its 2nd edition) was the required text for my CSC 1020 class, and it does a really good job of explaining object-oriented programming from the get-go without being overwhelming.

It also comes with the BlueJ IDE (Integrated Development Environment), which is a very basic code/text editor & compiler. The big advantage of BlueJ for beginners is that it displays a visual representation of your classes and packages that makes determining issues of inheritance and usage very simple to understand.

This book gets a little technical in places, but not frustratingly so. Head First Java 2nd Edition and Objects First with Java really complement each other, so you might want to get them together.
    http://folding.extremeoverclocking.c...e.php?u=555808

Quote Originally Posted by RogueOpportunist View Post
    In my experience the vast majority of "tech problems" are ID-10-T errors, usually caused by a nut loose on the keyboard.