Thread: 23" Sammy or 24" ASUS?

Default 23" Sammy or 24" ASUS?

After 6 years one of my LCD's decided it wasn't going to come on anymore. So I am finally moving into the Widescreen world. I have always run dual monitors so widescreen hadn't really been that important to me. Everything except games and movies seems to be more height driven than width.

So here is my dilemma..

I know Samsung monitors have a very high picture and color quality. So should I go with ...

a SAMSUNG S23A300B High Glossy Black 23" 5ms Full HD LED BackLight LCD Monitor 250 cd/m2 DCR 1,000,000:1 (1,000:1)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-487-_-Product

or go for the extra inch and get ...

the Asus VE248H Black 24" 1920X1080 2ms Full HD HDMI LED Backlight LCD Monitor w/Speakers 250 cd/m2 10,000,000:1

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...scrollFullInfo

One of the drawbacks on the Samsung is it doesn't have a VESA mount on the back so I wouldn't be able to attach it to a monitor mount. Not super important, but I was thinking about just attaching them to the back wall of my desk to get them back a bit further, and give me some more desk space.

I have never used ASUS monitors so I am really not sure how good they are.

Opinions??

Default Re: 23" Sammy or 24" ASUS?

To be honest. I have always found that my asus monitors (both) have had better color representation than samsung... TV's, and regular monitors included in this. I've compared them to the following brands (friends monitors)

Better than
    Samsung 27"
    Samsung 23"
    Samsung 20"
    LG 21"
    Dell 17"
    Samsung 32" (tv)
    Acer 19"

Worse than
    HP (it was a $500 IPS panel) 24"
    MacBook Pro screen (The colors are very nice on the mac, but its probably because of the insanely high screen resolution that it looks nicer. (1680x1050 in a 15")

Most of my friends have asus monitors, because when they see mine they go WOW, that looks great. I love my 24 inch,and wish i could sell my 19" and replace it with another 24"
    Not dead yet

Since patience is NOT one of my virtues.. and after watching a half a dozen YouTube videos and reading a few web reviews, not to mention diluzio's recommendation I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the 24" ASUS.

Thanks for the input diluzio.. now I just have to wait for the UPS man

If it isn't stock, it's modded! slaveofconvention's Avatar

Oh man I hope you don't live to regret that. I was just about to post that, having personally gone from having 2 screeens, down to one for nearly a year, I would STRONGLY recommend you stick with the dual screen and maybe drop down to 20's or something to keep the budget sensible. I itched for a second screen from about week 2 of being on a single screen, and now I have three lol - I'm running a central 22" with a pair of 19"s and nothing short of the apocalypse will ever push me back to a single screen!!! In fact, I think I'll be a three-screen man forever now, because my one bugbear with duals was that you couldn't have a screen right in front of you AND have them look symmetrical lol.

Start saving my man, you'll be wanting that second screen back before you know it heh....

Current Projects: Lobo | Unimatrix | High Voltage | Antec 900 Revamp (Phase 2)
    Completed Projects: General Lee | Synergy Green | Liquid Yellow
    Planned Projects: K-9-PC | Limey

I think he only had 1 go bad, i would assume he would use the other one still with the new screen?
    Not dead yet

Ahh.. I guess I didn't really fully explain the situation. I will definitely NOT be going back to a single screen. I just bought the one now, and will buy another one next month. That way the budget doesn't take too much of an impact. I will be able to use my current 4:3 monitor with the ASUS until I order the second. And who knows.. maybe a few months after that I will go for #3

THIS...

Just looks like too much fun!!!

I have been doing the single monitor for 2 days now.. Its excruciating.
    (yah yah.. I know I am spoiled )

The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar

I've lived with single monitor my entire life.

Don't feel SO bad
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

Tri.fecta

Quote Originally Posted by AmEv View Post
    I've lived with single monitor my entire life.

Don't feel SO bad
    True.. but that is the difference. You can't miss what you don't know. I feel like a computer paraplegic using a solitary monitor. LOL

And yes.. I repeat .. I know I am spoiled.

If it isn't stock, it's modded! slaveofconvention's Avatar

I love having three screens - it covers my "need" to have at least 2 screens, and also sates the beast inside which likes everything even while keeping a screen right in front of me.

The only "problem" is that I'd LOVE 3 identical screens - at the moment I have a 22" samsung in the middle and a pair of cheaper generic 19"s on either side but it doesnt bother me enough to make me go buy 3 new screens (or even just 2 more samsungs)

Current Projects: Lobo | Unimatrix | High Voltage | Antec 900 Revamp (Phase 2)
    Completed Projects: General Lee | Synergy Green | Liquid Yellow
    Planned Projects: K-9-PC | Limey

Well the Asus arrived today, and it looks very nice. The color definition is GREAT. Still getting used to the LED backlighting.. the whites are much brighter white. I doesn't even look out of place next to the 19" 4:3. The screen heights are just about exactly the same, too bad the resolution isn't.

Thanks again for the advice!!