Thread: lightning case

mentally overclocked Cale_Hagan's Avatar

Cool lightning case

okay.... so i hope no one has done this one... i take it everyone knows what a tesla coil is, right? okay, so my basic electronics teacher in high school ran some capacitors together, used two nails, and basically did a mini version of lightning. my idea, is to do something similar to this, in a contained environment, behind a window. back lighting, of dim light, with the charges randomly going at odd times lighting it up. just gotta make sure i test it, have a good ground, and make sure of no ESD.
    "The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.” -George Carlin

“Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.” -George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by DynamoNED
    Any contest that lacks integrity is no contest at all

Default Re: lightning case

bump: is this even do-able? practical? i think it would be awesome.... thats why i ask
    "The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.” -George Carlin

It's possible and I subbed to see what would happen but personally I think shielding your lightning generator from your computer components will cost you a pretty penny.
    Regedit'ed, Rooted, and Jailbroke anymore questions?
    Here’s a bumper sticker I’d like to see: “We are the proud parents of a child who’s self-esteem is sufficient that he doesn’t need us promoting his minor scholastic achievements on the back of our car.”

actually, it should be pretty easy to shield the components with a Faraday cage (sp?) I would defiantly grab a goodwill computer to test though.
    Not dead yet

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    It's possible and I subbed to see what would happen but personally I think shielding your lightning generator from your computer components will cost you a pretty penny.
    Quote Originally Posted by diluzio91 View Post
    actually, it should be pretty easy to shield the components with a Faraday cage (sp?) I would defiantly grab a goodwill computer to test though.
    yeah, i wasn't going to just through my i7 in there right off the bat, i would probably put an old p4 in there first.... i believe i will try to do this, it just looks like too much fun, kinda like the "crazy scientist" mod idea. hey, that's it! i shall call it the "Mad Scientist" mod

I was worried about EMI just as much as the discharge. Meaning you might have to shield your wiring from your I/O ports as well as pretty much the whole case depending on your generator.
    Regedit'ed, Rooted, and Jailbroke anymore questions?
    Here’s a bumper sticker I’d like to see: “We are the proud parents of a child who’s self-esteem is sufficient that he doesn’t need us promoting his minor scholastic achievements on the back of our car.”

yeah, especially if im going to put a hdd in....