Thread: The end of R2-M5?

Over 75 Custom PC's in 20 years TheGreatSatan's Avatar

Default The end of R2-M5?

My R2 is buggy all of a sudden. I have 8GB of DDR2 and the Task Manager reports that 90% of it is in use. I've run Malwarebytes and Microsoft Security and found nothing. It takes forever to do anything. Usually it boots in under a minute, but now it's about 5 minutes. My games don't load at all because it's pretty much frozen on start up. I've done a Ctrl Alt Delete and it took 3 minutes to open that too. The highest memory user is Microsoft Security Essential at a whopping 25MB.......?

Is my hard drive just going bad maybe?
    WH1T3 0U7
    Modified Thermaltake View 37
    Intel 9900K, MSI Z390A, 128GB (32GB x4) GSkill Royal 3200MHz, RTX 3080 Vision, EVGA Nu Audio, 1TB Silicon Power SSD, EVGA 1300G2, ID cooling 360mm AiO, LG 3440 x 1440

Default Re: The end of R2-M5?

I tried swapping out the RAM and that didn't help. I wound up putting my Vista disk in and running a Windows repair. That seemed to help a lot! I went into system properties and it says that my Windows score needs to be refreshed. I re-ran the assessment and it said that there was an error preventing the test from completing and that it could be a bad driver. I guess I'll try reinstalling my video card maybe? I think I'm still gonna gut it and just start over. Q9400's aren't exactly awesome anymore.....
    WH1T3 0U7
    Intel 9900K, MSI Z390A, 128GB (32GB x4) GSkill Royal 3200MHz, RTX 3080 Vision, EVGA Nu Audio, 1TB Silicon Power SSD, EVGA 1300G2, ID cooling 360mm AiO, LG 3440 x 1440

Like a Lightning Bolt in Your Cheerios! Drum Thumper's Avatar

Whoa wait....you're running Vista on this? Therein lies your problem right there.
    Quote Originally Posted by artoodeeto View Post
    aw heck guys. We're modders. Let's just build our own, shall we?

DrumThumper.net || The Brewing Art ||
    My Flickr Stream

I figured it out. I bought Corsair HS1 USB headphones and installed the software. Later I replaced them with the analog dial version, but never uninstalled the software. Apparently it was running crazy high and then would eventually crash my system. I disabled it in msconfig and rebooted and my computer is perfect! I have a 160GB Intel SSD coming in the mail that I'll be using to clone my hard drive soon and then it'll be good for a few more years.

I never understood the hate of Vista. It's actually a great OS, but there are far too many whiney people who don't know how to tweak it and make it GREAT.
    WH1T3 0U7

Shut up and take my money!

I have to agree TGS, I used Vista for a while and, besides occasional, and usually easily fixable, compatibility problems, I had no problems with it. Not gunna lie though, Win7 is definitely an improvement though
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw
    Will have another Aldersan pic in a bit.

Myrmidon