Thread: Other Modding Forums?

Default Other Modding Forums?

I was looking at EVGA's Mods Rigs, and from what I gathered, most (not all) of the rigs on there are just people throwing as much money into a computer case as they can, some of these rigs look AWFUL... Cables everywhere, ect, but have 3 580's in SLI and i7 980's and 990's... Have I been spoiled by the insane level of detail and attention paid to mods on tbcs? or are there just not many modders out there like us?...
    Not dead yet

Its not cool till its watercooled. Fuganater's Avatar

Default Re: Other Modding Forums?

Thats why EVGA is like #2 in Folding. They pour thousands of dollars into rigs that are only rigs. Not mods.

ATX Mental Case RogueOpportunist's Avatar

I've been a little at odds with this too, but TBH I can't even answer the most basic question like "what is a modding community?"... I mean to me modding has nothing to do with the dollar value you throw into the chassis, anyone can spend money if they have it... but at the same time in my eyes modding has nothing to do with scratch builds either... So how do you classify a modding "community"?

To me the idea of "modding" is pretty simple, You take something existing, be it new or old... and modify it to suits your needs better... but by that definition you could open up your HP Pavilion, put an LED fan into it somewhere and say it's "modded"... That to me doesn't seem like a "mod" though... But at the same time building a case from scratch (as impressive and artfully crafted as it may be) isn't a "mod" either because you are not really modifying anything.

So where is the line drawn to determine what is "actually" a mod and what is just 100$ worth of blinking lights and LED fans with a 400$ liquid rig? Because every tech forum seems to have some kind of "mod scene" active on it but when you peel back the layers a bit blinking lights and radiators make up the vast majority of their content.

So I'll make you a deal, you come up with an answer as to what a modding community is... and I'll let you know if I've seen any others.

The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar

It ain't a mod 'til you break out the Dremel!
    Code:
        /     \
       |       |
       |L M H|
       |[___]|
       |       |
       | ___ |
       | |O| |
       | |_| |
       | |I | |
       | |_| |
       |____|
          ||
          ||
          ~
    (Somebody fix that, please)
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

Tri.fecta

If it isn't stock, it's modded! slaveofconvention's Avatar

If you all have a look up there *points to the top of the page, then down about an inch and a half*, we call ourselves a custom computer community - that way we can play with mods AND scratch builds heh - we're greedy....

IMO it's attention to detail which can make or break a mod or a build - it doesn't matter if you spend a buck or a small fortune, if you don't deal with the finishing touches, you take away from it in a big way. I've seen lots of mods here and elsewhere where I think "This is awesome" followed a couple weeks later by "I can't believe he left that part like that when another 45 mins work would have made SUCH a difference" - I personally hate the "It'll do" attitude...

Current Projects: Lobo | Unimatrix | High Voltage | Antec 900 Revamp (Phase 2)
    Completed Projects: General Lee | Synergy Green | Liquid Yellow
    Planned Projects: K-9-PC | Limey

I mod everything I touch. Indybird's Avatar

I regularly jump between here and bit-tech for my modding digest. Bit-tech is the only other site I've seen with a community focused around quality, detailed mods.

-Nick

a modding community is not defined as what we have or make... it is who r we are as a people ... we re the few and proud... that would buy a brand new machine.. rip it to nothing and make it what we want... we r the hackers that make things pretty...

my girlfriend has looked at me oddly atleast half a million times asking "why dont u just leave that (fill in w/e here xbox,pc,stereo,tv,psp and iphone) alone?" and the only answer i have ever been able to respond with... is.. "cuz this is who i am"
    Quote Originally Posted by nevermind1534 View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if somebody sigquotes part of this.

The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar

This is our kind of "extreme sport".

We don't spend $1000s of dollars in sporting equipment; we spend it on pimping out our machines!
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

Tri.fecta