Thread: Painting Loud Speaker Cases/Surrounds - What Paint?

Smile Painting Loud Speaker Cases/Surrounds - What Paint?

Hello

I am soon to be re-decorating my bedroom to a lighter colour. In this room i have a hi-fi from the 80s, in which i have become emotionally attached too

The loudspeaker boxes are, classic early 80s - a dark brown 'wood effect' colour - which is not what i want. I would really like to just paint over this with white paint.

Thing is its not a general wood - its a chipboard box, which is covered in a plastic wood-effect covering - according to someone more knowledgeable than myself they say its melamine.

Also one of the speakers has had a few bumps over the years - and in one corner this covering had torn and come off (about 1inch by 1inch in size) - what would you suggest i patch this up with?

Open to suggestions

Dan

Its not cool till its watercooled. Fuganater's Avatar

Default Re: Painting Loud Speaker Cases/Surrounds - What Paint?

You can make wood putty to fill any divits in the wood. Sand it all down so its nice and rough, and to get that sticker crap off, and use some nice wood paint.

Default Re: Painting Loud Speaker Cases/Surrounds - What Paint?

^ sounds right.

Use some serious primer though, can't remember the brand, but it was something like killz? it really lays down a thick base coat, then smooth it, then paint over that.
    Not dead yet