Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: wiring LED's

Default wiring LED's

Ok, I just wanted find the best way to do this before I try it. I want to wire in about 15-20 LED's for my mod. Woud the best way to do this be to just take off the molex connector and then just wire them all in parallel, and solder them togather? And should I worry about the amount of power that will take from the system?

High-tech Redneck crazybillybob's Avatar

Default Re: wiring LED's

Aero,

As the molex only has 5Vdc and 12Vdc running on it and leds take from 1.5 to 3.5 Vdc, if you wire them up in parrell you'll get a nice flash when you power them on but they will not last long.

1st allways use a current limiting resistor with LEDS.
    2nd The best way to wire them up (power usage) is series parrell (a few leds inseries wired parrell to another group in series.)

Check out this web site enter the voltage, number and voltage of LEDs, current rating and it gives you the best resistor and wireing diagram.

http://led.linear1.org/led.wiz

Also make sure the PSU can handle the extra load, overloading a stressed out PSU is an easy way to destablize your pc!

(most red and yellow leds are 1.5v blue and white are 3v.... Ultrabright and uv very ....but allways check with the supplier for correct specs on the leds your going to use.)

Good luck,
    Crazybillybob

Hey Aero, no worries about the LED's. They take up so little power that you can probably run about 150 off them before you really noticed a drain.

Wire your LED's in parallel and that way the voltage isn't divided; they will all get an equal amount. If you spliced your Molex for the 5volts lead, then all you need to do is work out the voltage and the current, then slam a resistor in there. Each LED will have a rating, and you'll have at the very least 2 of the following peices of information: Power in Watts, Current drain in Amperes, or Voltage in Volts.

Now, the equation for power is P=IV (Where I is the current and V the voltage). So you can work out the voltage of the LED and it's current rating.

Now, you have 20 LED's. So you're going to want to ADD together the current, because they're in parallel. This is your current drop. As they're in parallel, the voltage is the same as the voltage for one resistor. The internal resistance of the LED's is negligible and can be ignored (And plus, the equation is 1/Rt = 1/R1 + 1/R2...1/Rx and who wants to work that out?)

Anyway, now you're cooking with fire.

It's easy here: You're getting a 5v supply. You've worked out V(led) and I(led). Now your equation is;

R=(V(supply)-V(led))/I(led)

The value for R is the type of resistor you'll need. Slap that resistor in series with your parallel LEDs. And that should be you. I hope that clears things up and isn't too difficult to follow. If there's something you're unclear on, don't hesitate to ask.

-Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Ideas are just knowledge soaked in alcohol.
    Did I just get in a Volvo? Volvo's don't have guns!

Damn you billybob, ya beat me to it!

-Dave

Do not wire them in parallel. Since an LED is a current device, rather than voltage, any slight difference in forward voltage drop will mean a large diference in current. It's better to connect them in series, in groups.
    So, if they're 3V LEDs, three in series will give 9V so the resistor will need to drop 3V at the required current.

So... R=V/I What's the current? say, 20mA
    V/I = 3/0.02 = 150
    So 150 ohms is good for running three 3V LEDs in series from a 12V supply.

+ve ---===------>|------>|------>|----- -ve

I was thinking the other day, I might just make a howto explaining LEDs, since they do seem to cause some confusion.

My apologies-i checked my books and xmas appears to be correct. However, trying to wire 20 of these will be problematic. It's too late for me to draw this out; i'd love for my 500th post to be one of spectacular relevance but i'm exhausted. Plus, i just typed all that above.

Although, to be fair, mathematically speaking everything above is correct in an ideal system with no voltage fluxuations. Here's to the big 500 guys!

-Dave

I'll knock up a quick drawing, I've just got up and the coffee is working its way round my system.

Reckon I should also work on an 'idiot's guide to LEDs'? since to me they're dead simple, but to some theyre very confusing. and I know why...

Here's one I made earlier: (get down, shep!)

Which I did for tybrenis. It shows two methods of wiring three LEDs to run from a battery. Same principle applies. The second one is much better, since the total current drain for three is the same as for one. In other words, you get two of them for free.

Here you go (Assuming 3V LEDs and 20mA, the resistor will be 150 ohms).
    Each branch will draw 20mA, making a total of 120mA. An extra load of 1.44W, I think your PSU can handle that.

If you're using lower voltage LEDs, you can fit more in series, reducing the current rain even further.

What's the specification (forward curent, forward volt-drop) of the LEDs?

lol, I really just wanted to know if wireing it directly to the PSU would work and make sure my already strained PSU wouldn't be taking too much of a load. And I already know about wireing LED's with resistors. Also it is better to use them in parallel with one resistor to each LED. Its more work but in the long run its much easier if you want to add more to the circuit, plus LED's are voltage based, meaning less voltage = less bright so series isn't a good choice. (unless you do it like xmastree, i think that should work) But thanks for the replies guys.

Also DaveW welcome to the 500 club, we have cookies.

High-tech Redneck crazybillybob's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aero
    Also DaveW welcome to the 500 club, we have cookies.

Yeah, the 500 club has cookies but the 449 club has ........R2
    And less Hot Air!

Couldn't help myself......

Crazybillybob