Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How fast can you build a PC?

Default How fast can you build a PC?

Over 75 Custom PC's in 20 years TheGreatSatan's Avatar

Default Re: How fast can you build a PC?

Even after all these years, I have to take my time with it. I don't waste my time with gloves or wriststraps or mats though
    WH1T3 0U7
    Modified Thermaltake View 37
    Intel 9900K, MSI Z390A, 128GB (32GB x4) GSkill Royal 3200MHz, RTX 3080 Vision, EVGA Nu Audio, 1TB Silicon Power SSD, EVGA 1300G2, ID cooling 360mm AiO, LG 3440 x 1440

if i do a slop job? aka, my version, with some wires exposed, about 15 min. if i go whole hog? well... i just finished blue storm after a year of tinkering ect... any cable that is exposed is wrapped or sleeved, i'll have to get some pics when i finally get the last part back from my friend who is painting it for me.
    Not dead yet

The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar

About 15 minutes.
    With decent cable management.

I don't worry about sleeving.
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

Tri.fecta

100% Recycled Pixels. Twigsoffury's Avatar

lol i can do it to in four minutes if i dont use half the screws, who cares about thermal paste, and cable management means getting the cables inside.

electric or hand screw driver?

I mod everything I touch. Indybird's Avatar

Its looks to me like the motherboard, processor, heatsink and PSU were already mounted in the computer. So they just had to hook everything up

I might even be willing to bet money I could beat 4 minutes in that case.

A regular build from opening up the boxes to a completely built and cable managed PC takes me about 45 minutes: I like to savor the moment

If it isn't stock, it's modded! slaveofconvention's Avatar

I know I've done way less than 10 minutes in the past (it was nearly 6 years ago and I THINK I hit about 7 mins and 40 seconds) - when I was working in a shop in Australia and a buddy and I had a race - and that was INCLUDING opening all the boxes etc - but the end result (which worked fine) wasn't pretty... It wasn't much of a PC tho - everything onboard, one stick of ram, one HD and one Optical - but it WAS a complete PC

Current Projects: Lobo | Unimatrix | High Voltage | Antec 900 Revamp (Phase 2)
    Completed Projects: General Lee | Synergy Green | Liquid Yellow
    Planned Projects: K-9-PC | Limey

Well, it all depends on what the parts are: if it's the same spec every time and you're building 50, they'll be a few minutes each.

If it's a one-off, you sepnd time figuring out the CPU fan clamps, the case layout (how do I squeeze this power supply in?!), the toolless clips (labour saving? in theory...), allll that stuff is what takes the time. For example, when I first fitted the h50 alone it took me an hour - i was very cautious of the flex on the hoses and didn't trust that it was as robust as it was.

So familiar parts, with practice? 10-15 minutes, fine. Unfamiliar parts, a really neat cable job, a couple hours...

The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar

OK, if it's just hook everything up, no management, 30 seconds.
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

Tri.fecta

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Looking at the video footage, it looks like they only have to put in the ODD, GPU, RAM, SSD on mount, and two add-in cards (one looks like an X-Fi or Killer). Putting those parts in, assuming let's say two screws holding on the SSD mount, two screws for the ODD, one screw for each card and two screws for the side panel... I would say probably around 4-5 minutes with a power screwdriver, 5-6 with a manual. This is assuming I was familiar with the case and mounting positions. It would look like crap, but it would work.

As for how long a build normally takes me personally? As in, the case is done to my satisfaction and all I have to do is fill it up.....really more like 4-5 hours. The cable management alone can take me a few hours. And of course add another hour or two on if it's a water cooled system...plus another 8-12 hours to bleed out any air in the system.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV