Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: project: Fukushima Reactor Rebuild

Default Re: project: Fukushima Reactor Rebuild

well i was supposed to be staying up for work... now i got the phone call that night shift got pushed back a day... so some how i have to eject this coffee out of my system... and go to bed

wtf... good ole government work for ya...

kalonopins here i come

Custom Title Honors

oh man, i've had days like that. gotta figure out how to get to sleep unexpectedly.

HOLY CRAP GUYS... the soldering is done!!!

for now. hahahaha

i might add another pipe and i might change around the t sections that eject the water into the tank... i might change them to a single pipe with wholes all across it. I do like the flow that i am getting... and after running for 10 minutes straight... no leaks and i used the pump to empty out half of the tank before i dumped it... so it was a pretty flawless run.

i take that back... i had one leak... it leaked at the top of the motor... because i didnt have a ring clamp to tighten it out... its 9 at night and i wasnt about to run to damn Lowes for a single whose clamp just to do this test hahahahahahaha i am ok with the 4 drops of water it leaked hahahahaha

oh and yes... i did run water threw it so that i can clean it out and put a nice layer of corrosion on the pipe hahahahahah see what i did there hahahahaha

no really copper wont corriod that fast... but i had to make sure there was no extra flux and that there was no leaks... i am going to let is sit in the sun for a day when its not raining to dry it all the way out...

i start the actual mineral oil in a few weeks... when i can order some ... and when i finish the case... hahahahaah

holy crap... progress... wooo whoooo

pics of the tank running with the piping in place

the videos and pictures were taken with my phone... i know i know i am a photographer and i dont even try when i am working on this stuff... i know i know... my bad... i just get to excited and want to show it... so i say **** it i am not waiting for my 1dmkII to charge... hahahahaha this stupid htc rezound works well enough hahahahahah

this vid is of it running... the noise you hear in the back ground isnt the pump... its my air conditioner ... hahahaha
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/robertfischer/7206617310/

this is a video of how fast (or slow) the water is pumping out the tank via the pump and piping
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/robertfischer/7206609834/

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

I'm glad you're back at this!

Quote Originally Posted by SXRguyinMA View Post
    I'm glad you're back at this!
    Me too bro... It's been a long road back to the states...

well... things are taking a change on this case... i wouldnt say i am scrapping it... i would say... i am modifying it so that its completed in next to no time at all hahahaha

so i have completely scrapped the idea of a suspended mother board... and just went with a couple of modified computer cases... so that it can be completed very soon

basically i took two computer cases... and welded them together with some thin steel rods and a piece of sheet metal at the bottom... next i will screw on a few rubber stubs for the base but i am finished for now... because i have to have the computer

on the 22 and 23 ... if anyone is in new jersey... hit me up... i will be at the wall aka Gauntlet doing video and photography for a site called www.everythingdrift.com

so the comp needs to be up and running by then so i can edit the video footage... hopefully i can accomplish this... seeing as how i have to purcahase a **** load of mineral oil to do this...

anyone know of a good site to do so as cheap as possible hahahahaha

i will post pics of the progress in a few

That doesn't show the crappy placement of the hard drive and disk drive... But I was told Friday I would be shooting video and pics for E.D. so I scrapped the othe case and welded this crap together... Keep in mind I just taught my self to weld this weekend hahahahahahah so don't be harsh hahahahah
    It's hooked up right now out side of the tank so I could make sure it worked... I still need to attach all the bells and whistles like lights bubbles and radiation sensor... That's all simple bolt on crap

Anyways... Enjoy... Or don't hahahahahaha

For mineral oil, check farm supply shops or veterinary clinics that deal with horses or other large animals. Mineral oil is used as a laxative on them and so you can find large bottles of it for cheaper than getting it in tiny bottles from a drug store. If that's a 10g aquarium expect to pay around $135-150 or so for the oil. It's usually $15/gal from what I've seen. Also, make sure there are no additives...needs to be 100% mineral oil.
    I'll procrastinate tomorrow.

The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar

Also remember, mineral oil absorbs heat quickly, but dissipitates it slowly.
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

Tri.fecta

Quote Originally Posted by AmEv View Post
    Also remember, mineral oil absorbs heat quickly, but dissipitates it slowly.
    I don't think that is a property of the oil itself, but of an uncirculated fluid in a tank. Pugets original build hit around 80C due to not being actively cooled because that's where the temp differentials leveled out. Heat transfer is governed by a temp difference and surface area: a 50C processor will dump heat into 40C oil faster than 49C oil given the same surface area. Likewise with the oil to the air...this is why cold, winter air over a watercooling rad can make a huge difference. Greater surface area, such as a radiator, will also increase dissipation rate. I would pump the oil through a rad just like water cooling. Otherwise, the oil can only passively dissipate heat via the air surrounding the sides of the tank. Just be aware that the head and flow rate will be severely decreased due to the extra viscosity. Viscosity decreases as temp rises though too. There's likely some magical, optimal point but that's far beyond the scope of this discussion and my mathematical abilities.
    I'll procrastinate tomorrow.