Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help deciding on a UPS

Its not cool till its watercooled. Fuganater's Avatar

Default Need help deciding on a UPS

So I need to get a USP for my PC and then one for my Wife's PC. Probably but 2 of the same one if they are good enough.

Requirements:
    110/120/220/240V
    50/60Hz

I have a 750W PSU... so do I need a UPS with at least a 750W rating? A PSU doesn't use all the power unless your maxing it out... which I'm not. What should the VA rating be? This one isn't bad but idk if its powerful enough.

ANy and all help is greatly appriceated!

Cheers,
    Fuga

Default Re: Need help deciding on a UPS

Bump...

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

I've never really seen a good description of what "Volt Amps (VAs)" are and why they're different than Watts...so I'm not sure I can help you there... That being said, what you need to figure out first is what approximate sized load will be on the UPS and how long you need to have everything run once the power goes out.

As for manufacturer, personally I only buy APC because from my experience they have a higher standard of quality and I know they do a full battery of tests on each and every unit that they send out (they include a signed printout of the test results). Unfortunately, that higher standard of quality does carry a cost premium with it. If you're looking for something that's still decent and a bit cheaper, the units I've seen by Tripp-Lite and Opti-UPS were both pretty decent...although, granted, they were both high-end business units, so that may have had a bit to do with it...

The unit I use on my main desktop is an APC Back-UPS ES 650 (650VA 390W; similar to this one), and it can run the PC in my system profile for ~5-10 minutes. Plenty of time to close out whatever I'm doing and shut down. From that experience, if ~5-10 minutes of runtime is enough, I would say a similarly rated unit should be sufficient for your system as well. For a longer run-time, increase the VA rating.

So, in sum-up, personally I wouldn't buy an Opti-UPS system, but the few that I have seen seem to be decent quality, and that 1100VA 550W one (assuming it's not over-rated) should quite your needs just fine.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

This one has been on my wish list for a while. Whenever I get the spare money I will be buying it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-048-_-Product

VA vs W
    VA are used to describe out of sync AC power. Maybe VA is just to avoid confusion between actual power draw and rated draw? To be honest I've always been a bit confused on the matter myself.

I have a 7 year old APC unit. The battery doesn't hold a charge anymore and I could technically replace it since the warranty is up. But it still works as a surge protector. It did its job maybe twice in that 7 years...but it did it well.

Quote Originally Posted by d_stilgar
    This one has been on my wish list for a while. Whenever I get the spare money I will be buying it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-048-_-Product
    That is $20 cheaper here.
    I'll procrastinate tomorrow.

Its a good UPS but does not do 50Hz.

Where do you live that your power is 50Hz? I was under the impression that Canadian and Americans used the same power grid which everything I've come across is 60Hz, that's why I ask. I know some foreign countries use 50Hz.

Alright some quick googling suggests that USA is 60Hz across the board while some European countries and India and China use 50Hz (China says they use 50 and 60 depending on area).

Quote Originally Posted by Killa_Ape View Post
    Where do you live that your power is 50Hz?
    Congo. Check the profile.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin

The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar

Hunh.

My APC UPS (BackUPS 430 Pro, I think) has a toasted and bulging battery. Won't turn on at all.
    Thought it was a steal for $10.

Ah well, I'll be spending more on the replacement battery than the UPS itself lol.
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

Tri.fecta

What are the specs on the battery?
    --Benjamin Franklin