Thread: plastic filler....

Anodized

Default plastic filler....

i'm looking at my old HP media center, and at the top of the front plate there's a little raised 'hp' logo in what looks like a on/off button if you didn't know better. it's clearly a separate piece of plastic, something i'd definitely want to remove. it could probably be sanded down to where there's just an outline, or popped out to leave a good little hole.

what would i use to fill the outline? or, as this is probably going to help further down the road, how do you fill larger holes in plastic?

If it isn't stock, it's modded! slaveofconvention's Avatar

Default Re: plastic filler....

You need something to cover the back of the hole - I usually glue something like a filler spreader in there, then fill as usual from the front with bodyfiller.

Actually, check my unimatrix log (soon) as I'm about to post an update where I've done almost exactly that, removing a lock from the case

Current Projects: Lobo | Unimatrix | High Voltage | Antec 900 Revamp (Phase 2)
    Completed Projects: General Lee | Synergy Green | Liquid Yellow
    Planned Projects: K-9-PC | Limey

Anodized

sounds good.

100% Recycled Pixels. Twigsoffury's Avatar

Anodized

thanks for the link, twigs, i bet that stuff comes in handy! i'd never thought of *plastic* filler before coming here....

100% Recycled Pixels. Twigsoffury's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lynn's engraving View Post
    thanks for the link, twigs, i bet that stuff comes in handy! i'd never thought of *plastic* filler before coming here....
    oh man used to use that stuff left and right as a kid building models

couldn't chop the top on a 1:18th scale 64' impala without it! lol.

Really bonds nicely to plastic, good hold, shapable while tack, can even "layer" it something thats sort of hard to do with bondo.

and its like 3$ so its cheap if you just need to do a couple small areas.

It's what im using to repair my vento 3600.

they sell this two part plastic epoxy at wal-mart (forgot the name of it) but that stuff is awesome if you need to fill a large area and have it be as strong as the surrounding plastic. then use that plastic filler afterwards

that epoxy and the plastic filler would still be cheaper then the smallest thing of bondo, with less hassle.

Best o luck lynn!