Thread: question about otical out

Custom Title Honors Liquid_Scope_99's Avatar

Default question about otical out

The short version my father in law wants to buy my computer .
    It is 1080 capable the icture is great here is the mother board
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813130240
    My father in laws wants the computer to lat through his hd LCD TV .
    Tried with the HDMI whic h has the dvi/HDMI converter no luck .
    So then we o get a otical cable to run sound from pc to tv .
    This is the first time i have ever tried this i tried allthe settings in c tv the bar gragh moves u and down no sound thru tv any ideas areciated

Default Re: question about otical out

What graphics card has it got? I link my PC to a HD LCD TV with a HDMI cable but it would not recognize the TV at first, I have an Nvidea GeForce 8800 GT and the Nvidea drivers have a control panel where you set up multiple displays and you can force TV detection on start up, I'm assuming you have set the TV to the appropriate HDMI/PC input setting.

I also have to use a separate lead for the sound from the PC from audio out on the sound card to a dedicated audio input socket on the TV called a "PC/HDMI 3 Audio" socket, from what I've read newer TVs have added PC Audio input so it's easier to use your PC monitor/speaker connections.

Play some music on the PC and then unplug the optical cable from the TV, is it glowing red at the tip?

If not, make sure the optical out is selected for your audio. You can change that by (in windows) right clicking on the speaker icon down by the clock and selecting playback devices. Select 's/pdif interface' and plug the cable back into the TV. You should have sound.

If it is glowing, then the problem is on the TV end. Make sure the cable is plugged into the correct input, or the correct input device is being 'listened' to. I've seen TVs that input digital or analog but not both at the same time or had other divisions between certain inputs. Hopefully you don't have one of 'those'.

EDIT: Another thought, if the TV is setup to output sound to a receiver or similar A/V gear, make sure the TV speakers are not internally muted or set the TV to forward the inputs to the receiver. I would think it would automatically forward the signal, but stranger things have happened.
    I'll procrastinate tomorrow.

Why must hard drives fail together? TheMainMan's Avatar

Most likely the issue here is that very few TVs have optical inputs. Optical cables are directional in that there is an input and an output end. My TV will output optical audio so that it can be connected to a reciever which is capable of using the full signal range of the optical cable. TVs don't usually have optical inputs as most TVs have two small speakers and can't play surround sound. You're best bet would likely be to look for a pair of RCA jacks on the TV labled input and connect those to the the primary 3.5mm jack on the computer (usually green). Or if you have a reciever, connect the optical to that.
    TheMainMan

Custom Title Honors Liquid_Scope_99's Avatar

Thanks gus sorry its been so long very, very busy i think TheMainMan hit the nail on the head its an optical out on the TV stupid me . I have got model for sure this time lol.
    http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-t...=mncolBtm;rnav

There are the secs guys he really likes the tv speakers and wants sound from the computer to lay thru those i may buy him a surround for computer