Thread: dd-wrt

I got rid of my floppy disks Xpirate's Avatar

Default dd-wrt

I discovered something good for my old router: www.dd-wrt.com

I was able to convert my old WRT54G Linksys router into a wireless client bridge with the software from dd-wrt. The original firmware of the router will not work as a wireless bridge. All it will do is broadcast a wireless signal for your laptops.

I upgraded to Uverse and it provides the wireless router, which makes my old one just another piece of unneeded equipment. I was going to hook it up to an unused PC running Linux for wardrivers to connect to and get frustrated with the lack of internet connection. Then I found that dd-wrt will allow this router to extend my Uverse modem.

One of the things I had to do that was not in the on-line instructions is change the IP address of the router. The Uverse router had a range of 192.168.1.6X to 192.168.1.24X. I put (X) because I don't remember the exact numbers. The Linksys router defaulted its IP to 192.168.1.1, so I had to change it to 192.168.1.200.

It's pretty cool. Now I have a little router that I can put anywhere in the house and have four ethernet ports with full internet access.

Default Re: dd-wrt

You'll find a few threads dotted around about using DD-WRT. As a matter of fact, I'm using it right now ;D If you get it, high five!
    Antec Sonata II | Pioneer DVR-212
    Good news! You can follow my website or follow me on twitter!

Its not cool till its watercooled. Fuganater's Avatar

I tried puttig it on my Netgear WRN2000 but can't find the firmware for it. I've seen tons of people saying they've used it but no download for it. The only one on DD-WRT is for the V2 one.

ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/V24-K26/svn16773/

Make sure you read instructions spefic to your router before flashing.

Unless you mean Hardware version 2. Then I'm not sure I can help.
    Antec Sonata II | Pioneer DVR-212
    Good news! You can follow my website or follow me on twitter!

I got rid of my floppy disks Xpirate's Avatar

I found those other threads after I posted. I told my wife what I did with the old router and she gave me a disgusted look and said, "I don't understand anything you just said, but I'm glad that it made you happy" When I tried to explain it better, she added, "No, I'm perfectly cool with that."

I got the instructions that were specific to my WRT54G V5.0. They included a couple windows programs, so I used my 5 year old low end Dell craptop to update the router's firmware.