Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: bottle neck ?

The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar

Default Re: bottle neck ?

800MHz.

Definitely DDRII. I know where to get one, too, at the 'Egg.
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

Tri.fecta

Woah, woah...

Firstly, whether that CPU is holding you back depends massivley on the game, resolution and desires level of AA.

Secondly, is there anything you want to go that you can't do? If yes, don't upgrade.

Thirdly, WIE is an AWFUL CPU benchmark. Take some FPS readings then compare them to what you see in GTX570 reviews (making sure that you use the same part of the game and identical settings).

Fourthly, it's never a great idea to pump money into obsolete tech. You pay above the odds and will replace it fairly soon.

Fifthly and finally, RAM is definitely not a considerable bottlekneck here, even with a quad. Remember Skulltrail? Ran on high latency 800MHZ RAM, destroyed everything at the time. Contrary to popular belief, current RAM speeds are plenty for modern hardware. This can be seen in the total lack of performance difference between X58 and P55, and in the fact that most "extreme benchmarkers" don't bother to overclock their RAM beyond what a lot of people use on a daily basis. Even on the latest platforms, the performance differences between the RAM speeds in OP's system and the best out there when it comes to real world applications are fairly slim.
    _

Fresh Paint

wow cheers guys, i rekon i will give it a crack anyways and see how it goes, thank you for all your help will let you know.