Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Optical vs. Laser

Default Re: Optical vs. Laser

You'll like the G5, I forgot to mention that unlike the G7 the G5 comes with weights so you can tailor its weight feel, which is nice.

I have the Razer Diamondback 1600dpi gaming mouse. works great for me. looks cool as all hell and has 4 extra buttons.

I forgot to mention but i also have a microsoft strategic commander.

Quote Originally Posted by activewin.com
    The Strategic Commander unit is in fact composed of two parts: the stationery bottom one is the base where the moving pad is attached. The base features two buttons: the slider lets you select up to three different game profiles while the rec button is intended to record on the fly actions shortcuts without leaving your games. The second part is obviously the moving pad. The pad’s exclusive design will perfectly hug the form of your hand and you’ll be able to rest your hand comfortably on it. When you put your hand on it the little finger rests on a dedicated curve, the ring, major and index fingers reach the six programmable buttons (that are near to the Zoom ones) while the thumb commands the third shift buttons located on the right part of the pad that allow to change actual combination.

72 functions in all. if this seems intimidating... it is. It sucks to set up and take a while to get used to but once mastered its invaluable.

wtf? So the moving part moves on the base? Is it attached to it, like a sort of joystick?
    And with all those buttons you'd need to be some kind of alien to use it.

The MS Commander isn't a mouse, it's a seperate input device for gaming, it's basically a tool for games like Warcraft, Starcraft, etc. It's not much help in FPS or certain other games. It provides you with a lot of extra programmable keys and the base does slide around, usually you use that to move your map view in those types of games. It's a nice gadget, they've been around for a long time now, you can probably get one cheap. It's similar (but I think better) than the Nostromo.

I also have a Razer Diamondback Plasma Ltd mouse, it's the one I could never get used to. It's too light weight for me (big hands), I don't like the button configuration either, the ambidexterous design is nice but, if you can't use those other buttons they're just in the way.

It took me a while to get used to the G7's lack of a foreward button but now I'm used to using the tilt wheel to do that.

I've used it in fps games, stratagy games, works good in photoshop to. You can set it up so forward on the pad makes you walk forward in the game, strafe. ect. ect.

Practice random acts of generosity Omega's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by xmastree
    I find they work well on those cheap give-away type mouse pads. The foam ones with a woven covering on one side. However, they need to be almost in line with the weaving. Place it at 45 degrees and they get confused.

Well, it could either be your mouse, or the kind of mousepad.

I use a rather old Logitech MX700 (Wireless, forward and back buttons, scroll buttons and a wheel, too, very ergonomic) on a Thermaltake Gamma Pad (LED Mousepad with a textured plastic surface) and it slides very well, but if i put it in a few places, the mouse will drift in a certain direction, which gets annoying (but is easilay fixed by moving my hand.)

MX700's aren't so old, just 2 years or so, still great mice. I have 2 here, don't use them anymore but still think they're good.

I never tried using the Commander in an FPS, I'm just so used to using my arrow keys and a mouse, it'd probably mess me up. I've used the Zboard with FPS's and its gaming board with the butterfly arrow keys are great for FPS's.

Ive allways wanted to try a Z-Board but i like to communicate while i play and i know i wouldnt want to swap covers in the middle of a game just to type somthing

It has a full keyboard on the gaming board, it's just a little difficult to get used to typing on it when you're used to a standard keyboard layout.

But for controlling in a FPS, it's sweet. And for WoW, the board for that is pretty nice too. I have it but I can't find it and since I traded the ZBoard on here, I won't ever need it.

Fresh Paint

Anyone know where I can get either an invisible laser or blue (or any color than red) optical mouse?
    A picture of a blue led optical mouse on Wikipedia with a caption that says it is a Logitech blue led mouse prompted me to call Logitech to find out a model #. They have no idea. Neither does anyone in Best Buy or Fry's.
    I was considering the MS Blue Track mouse, but wonder if that's worth $100.