Thread: Need advice for keyboard/mouse paintjob

Fresh Paint

Default Need advice for keyboard/mouse paintjob

Hey folks. I figured I'd start off with something small, so I've got a project going on at the moment involving painting my mouse and keyboard to match each other. I have a Logitech G500 and various keyboards that I'll probably experiment with to see which is easiest to paint.

Impatience got the better of me and I decided to charge forward on the mouse mod. It turned out pretty well, but I'm running into a little bit of a problem. The paint I'm using has an almost sticky feeling to the touch, even after sanding it totally smooth. Also, it takes fingerprints like you wouldn't believe... and the only way I've been able to get rid of them is by sanding gently with 2000 grit sandpaper like I used to finish it off and get the texture I wanted. Suffice it to say I don't want to be sanding this thing every time it gets dirty.

Is there some kind of sealant I should be using to finish the mouse with? A fixative, or something? If possible I'd like to get the same sort of semi-slick and fairly easy to clean surface as used to be on the mouse.

Also, I admit with some shame that I just used whatever paint was in the garage rather than buying something specific. I think it was just furniture paint or something. What paint would everyone recommend for finishing this task? Bearing in mind that it's for hands-on surfaces, not just for show.

Thanks in advance!

Incidentally, the finished mouse:

http://img690.imageshack.us/i/photoapr16121105am.jpg/

The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar

Default Re: Need advice for keyboard/mouse paintjob

Welcome to TBCS!

I'd think some sort of lacquer/sealant would work.

Anyone else have suggestions or secondses?
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

Tri.fecta

Fresh Paint

I'm definitely going to have to redo the project with better paint. The quality is lacking and it's far too easy to scratch. Lacquering or sealing it should fix that.

Hi, You really need to use proper paint for plastic and use a plastic primer first to ensure the paint coat sticks and dries and finally as you said a lacquer to seal it, there are a lot of plastic paints and primers for cars for painting interiors and plastic bumpers/fenders etc, something like this.
    and this.

finally lacquer

Hope you can clean off the first paint you used.

Quote Originally Posted by Beta-brain View Post
    Hi, You really need to use proper paint for plastic and use a plastic primer first to ensure the paint coat sticks and dries and finally as you said a lacquer to seal it, there are a lot of plastic paints and primers for cars for painting interiors and plastic bumpers/fenders etc, something like this.
    and this.

finally lacquer

Hope you can clean off the first paint you used.
    This. In addition, make sure you follow the directions on the primer/paint/lacquer 100%. If paint is applied too soon, not allowed to dry long enough, etc, some nasty artifacts can appear and ruin your work and your day.
    I'll procrastinate tomorrow.

ATX Mental Case

I agree with previous two posts, must follow the painting/drying directions on each can. Also if you use all the same company of paint, primer, and laqueor it tends to be a better finished product. Remember the longer it takes chances are the better it's going to look.
    Hope this helps.
    "Do or do not... there is no try."
    -Yoda