Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: New Case - Want to water cool it

Its not cool till its watercooled. Fuganater's Avatar

Default New Case - Want to water cool it

Hey all,

Been quite a while since I was on here. I'm looking at making a new PC and want to water cool just the CPU. Maybe add the GPU later so expandability would be nice.

The case:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811129087

I've looked at CPU kits but they are not expandable.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835181015

Now since I'm putting $1,500 in to hardware, I would like to make the water cooling under $400. That being said I saw the H20-220 on Swiftech's website and I think its pretty slick. http://www.swiftnets.com/products/H20-X20-Edge.asp An all in 1 system that is a good brand. Anyone use this? It is compatible with my case according to their website. Is this system expandable to include my GPU at a later date?

I've also seen this setup:
    http://www.swiftnets.com/products/H20-220-ULTIMA-XT.asp

A bit more work to install and not so compact. Anyone use it or can recommend a different product?

As I said I really like the H20-220 product for being so compact.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Default Re: New Case - Want to water cool it

Also I would like to figure out how to make an LCD display for temps. Ideas?

First, any water-cooling kit is expandable...for the most part anyway.
    If the kit uses standard fittings then yes, you can easily expand it by just changing where the hoses go. All you'll need is the gpu block, additional fittings, and a bit more hose.

I'm not sure how it compares in the performance department but this kit was reviewed here a little while ago: http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/f...r+KU3-241+G1/4. It's about 2/3 the price. I'm not endorsing it or anything but I thought I'd at least make you aware of it.

EDIT:
    http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/f...ad.php?t=23490
    I'll procrastinate tomorrow.

If it isn't stock, it's modded! slaveofconvention's Avatar

Are you set on that case? There's nothing wrong with it but it seems to be more aimed at air-cooled systems than watercooled ones.

As for WC kits, there are better people than me to answer that but I imagine, with the budget you have in mind, you should be in a pretty good position to get high quality individual parts which would definitely then allow for expansion. I would certainly recommend the biggest radiator you can justify - it'll be utter overkill for just CPU cooling but it'll definitely give you the expandability you're wanting.

Finally, the LCD for temps - there are lots of fan controller/temp monitors out there depending on how you want to mount them - there are 3.5" bay units, 5.25" units or you can get standalone temp LCDs which you can mount somewhere in the case with a little modding.

Current Projects: Lobo | Unimatrix | High Voltage | Antec 900 Revamp (Phase 2)
    Completed Projects: General Lee | Synergy Green | Liquid Yellow
    Planned Projects: K-9-PC | Limey

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

I don't have any experience with Swiftech's new pump/rad/res things like in the H2O-220 and 320, but Kayin has two of the 320's (though they're not running yet) so he might be able to give a better opinion on those specifically.

That case looks like it gives you plenty of space up top for a 2x120 or (ideally) a 2x140 rad, though. It actually gives you a lot of space between the top of the case and the MBB, which most cases don't.

I think any of the solutions you linked should suite you well. Just keep in mind that a 2x120 rad will not be a simple bolt-in solution for the top of that case, since it was designed with two 140mm fans. Because of this, if you don't go with one of the Swiftech all-in-one things, I would highly recommend going with a 2x140 instead of a 2x120 rad. They're more expensive, but they give you ~50% more radiator surface area and it will be simpler to mount one in that case.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Lol. also, i have a complete loop for AMD or Intel up for sale in the FS section.
    Not dead yet

Quote Originally Posted by mDust View Post
    First, any water-cooling kit is expandable...for the most part anyway.
    If the kit uses standard fittings then yes, you can easily expand it by just changing where the hoses go. All you'll need is the gpu block, additional fittings, and a bit more hose.

I'm not sure how it compares in the performance department but this kit was reviewed here a little while ago: http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/f...r+KU3-241+G1/4. It's about 2/3 the price. I'm not endorsing it or anything but I thought I'd at least make you aware of it.

EDIT:
    http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/f...ad.php?t=23490
    That looks like a very nice kit for $200. I'll have to read a bit more about it.

Quote Originally Posted by slaveofconvention View Post
    Are you set on that case? There's nothing wrong with it but it seems to be more aimed at air-cooled systems than watercooled ones.

As for WC kits, there are better people than me to answer that but I imagine, with the budget you have in mind, you should be in a pretty good position to get high quality individual parts which would definitely then allow for expansion. I would certainly recommend the biggest radiator you can justify - it'll be utter overkill for just CPU cooling but it'll definitely give you the expandability you're wanting.

Finally, the LCD for temps - there are lots of fan controller/temp monitors out there depending on how you want to mount them - there are 3.5" bay units, 5.25" units or you can get standalone temp LCDs which you can mount somewhere in the case with a little modding.
    I'm not 100% set on the case but it covers alot of what I'm looking for. Side panel, SSD mount for future use, 3x USB on the front, lots of fans for good air flow, the 2.5" HDD mount on top is SICK! I like the fans to keep the rest of the mobo cool. I'm going with http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131702 The Thermal Armor needs good airflow to keep it cool.

Quote Originally Posted by x88x View Post
    I don't have any experience with Swiftech's new pump/rad/res things like in the H2O-220 and 320, but Kayin has two of the 320's (though they're not running yet) so he might be able to give a better opinion on those specifically.

That case looks like it gives you plenty of space up top for a 2x120 or (ideally) a 2x140 rad, though. It actually gives you a lot of space between the top of the case and the MBB, which most cases don't.

I think any of the solutions you linked should suite you well. Just keep in mind that a 2x120 rad will not be a simple bolt-in solution for the top of that case, since it was designed with two 140mm fans. Because of this, if you don't go with one of the Swiftech all-in-one things, I would highly recommend going with a 2x140 instead of a 2x120 rad. They're more expensive, but they give you ~50% more radiator surface area and it will be simpler to mount one in that case.
    I do see your point with the 2x140 rad. I could do a 2x120 on the back of the case or a 2x140 on the top of the case. But after measuring the case is 23.5" tall and my space for the case is only 26" tall. So adding another 1.5" would make cooling the rad kinda hard. I mean i MIGHT be able to mount it to the top on the inside of the case but I'll have to check out some more reviews on it. Some reviews so far said that you cant being that the top and rear fans are smack against each other.

I found this comparison between the DF-85 and the HAF-X. http://www.overclock.net/computer-ca...-antec-df.html Is the HAF-X any better for my situation?

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fuganater View Post
    I could do a 2x120 on the back of the case or a 2x140 on the top of the case. But after measuring the case is 23.5" tall and my space for the case is only 26" tall. So adding another 1.5" would make cooling the rad kinda hard. I mean i MIGHT be able to mount it to the top on the inside of the case but I'll have to check out some more reviews on it. Some reviews so far said that you cant being that the top and rear fans are smack against each other.
    Yes and no. If you look at the space around the fan mounts for the rear fans (remember, radiators are wider than the fans), there won't be space to put a radiator on the rear mounts inside the case. However, there is space, I think, to put in a radiator and at least one layer of fans (if not two, ie, one on each side of the radiator) for a top-mounted radiator. You are correct, though; the top rear fan won't fit if you do that.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Quote Originally Posted by x88x View Post
    Yes and no. If you look at the space around the fan mounts for the rear fans (remember, radiators are wider than the fans), there won't be space to put a radiator on the rear mounts inside the case. However, there is space, I think, to put in a radiator and at least one layer of fans (if not two, ie, one on each side of the radiator) for a top-mounted radiator. You are correct, though; the top rear fan won't fit if you do that.
    What if I mounted the 2x120 rad on the back, kept the fans inside and put another set of fans outside? I wouldn't really have to use another set of fans though because the H20-220 has fans 2x120 fans built onto it. Sound right?