Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cpu temps

Anodized

Default Re: Cpu temps

How can you accurately gauge if intels run hotter then AMD's is what I want to know.

I'm no fanboy and own both an AMD and an Intel cpu powers pc's.
    "It's a show we're filming. It's like cops, but from the criminals point of view"

Anodized

Quote Originally Posted by antheh
    How can you accurately gauge if intels run hotter then AMD's is what I want to know.

u could run them underload each using the same program, and also the same heatsink and fan.
    but that would vary from the models of intels to models of amd

Fresh Paint

Quote Originally Posted by Cana-Balsitic
    Im not sure about thoes acusations about intels being hotter than amd's. Im currently enrolled in a computer repair course. i have a video clip of a technician starting up 2 computers WITHOUT HEATSINKS!, one intel and one amd. the intel chips have thermal protection that shuts down the cpu if it reaches about 150-160. the amd chips have no protection and will get up to around 500-600 and will fry themselves.
    1) the older AMD processors did not have thermal protection, the new ones do.
    2) intel chips run hotter then AMD because the intel chips use way more power.

now for the issue of temps:
    the intel you have is undoubtedly a prescot core, which are known as space heaters. its normal for you to see those temps on a stock heatsink. i recomend getting a solid copper heatsink and use arctic silver5 (a thin consistant layer is best). if your motherboard can handle it this is a very nice and quiet heatsink.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835118223
    or the one i have but you really have to check the zalman website to make sure it will fit on your motherboard
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835118115

and here is the arctic silver 5
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835100007
    you can get several uses out of that tube and remember to use some rubbing alcahol to clean both the processor and the heatsink before you apply the AS5 and then try not to leave the AS5 sitting out to collect dust, the cleaner the connection the better the heat dispersal.

good luck.

Anodized

I use Artic Silver Ceramique and find it to be really good. I started off using a Spire I think it was silver thermal paste and it worked good, once I used the Artic Silver Ceramique it was even better, lowering temps by a good 5c overall.

http://www.articsilver.com/ceramique.htm
    "It's a show we're filming. It's like cops, but from the criminals point of view"

Practice random acts of generosity Omega's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by antheh

You build two identical systems, Same specs on everything, and test them both under the same load.

Like, you find out two equal amd and intel boards, and two equal amd and intel chips, get two identical video cards, optical drives, power supplies, cases, hard drives, and cooling systems.

You can only accurately test things when only one variable is different

Quote Originally Posted by sega01
    personally i think 60c + is too high. it lowers the potential for overclocking, and slightly lowers stablility and performance at those temperatures. what cpu fan do you have on it? i would recommend getting a better cpu heatsink/fan and possibly some artic silver.

I have a prescott and it used to run with the regular HS at 60 under load 70 and any higher and it will shut down.. (pentium is programmed to shut down at danger heats) If you plan on gaming then you should really get a better sync i have the blue orb 2 my compy runs at 27-32c when useing internet and suck when i get some games on it goes up to 42 ish
    All your base are belong to us.

Fresh Paint

I want to know the best place to put the thermal sensor so i have a more accurate temp readings and my harcano 13 wont stop flashing red, no alarm beeps just flashing.

the best place for a probe would be in a small hole drilled into the heatsink base. Or if its possible, in the void in the socket right under the cpu. I currently have mine taped to the back side of my motherboard. I dont know if its the best place but the readings still fluxuate according to load.