Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cpu temps

Fresh Paint

Default Cpu temps

I have a pentium 4 3.0E ghz socket 478 and i am worried about heat problems. I just bought a Hardcano 13 and installed it on my new system, about 2 months old. I hadn't payed attention to heat until now. The Cpu temp when idle is between 35-45 degrees celcius, when loading and playing a game or graphic intensive program it shoots to 69-71 degrees celcius. If just browsing files or the internet the temp will go to low 50s. I want to know if this is bad? I think it is okay because no temps over 71.5 yet I am still unsure.Please help.

Practice random acts of generosity Omega's Avatar

Default Re: Cpu temps

I'm not too farmiliar with intel, but i do know that they run hotter than AMD.

Here's a tip. If you don't mind your rig sounding liek a server (i don't mind mine =p) then pump it full of more fans.

For the CPU alone, i have a 120 intake, two 80's to speed that up, the 92 on the HSF, and a 120 exhaust. but ig gets loud. whatever.

and i run stable under load at anywhere from 56-60c.

Go AMD.

Anodized

It is quite bad, I have a Intel Pentium 640 3.2ghz cpu which runs between 28-32c while just surfing the net and chatting on msn and such. While underload it sometimes gets to maybe 42c. I do have a 120mm intake and 120mm exhaust and a 92mm intake on the side and a Zalman CNPS7700-cu cpu cooler.

I would say, try some top of the range thermal paste. Clean up the wires in your case, get an intake fan (for the front of the case) and a exhaust fan (at the back of the case) as a minimum.
    "It's a show we're filming. It's like cops, but from the criminals point of view"

Life is like an analogy...

ive got the same cpu as you do. it was one of my mistakes... but thats not the point.

ive got pretty low operating temperatures as well. its on a stock cooler too. the idle is down between 25 and 30 degrees, and under load ive tracked it to about 56.

make sure your heatsink is making good contact with the cpu, and if you arent using arctic silver, perhaps you should consider it.

by all means, your temperatures are "acceptable". they're just in the upper limits of acceptability. its getting into the range where your cpu life will be shortened.

so look into improving heatsink contact, and maybe even get a better cooling apparatus.

Quote Originally Posted by Slug Toy
    im pretty sure i was your car, but i was into mah music and didnt think too much of it

Anodized

personally i think 60c + is too high. it lowers the potential for overclocking, and slightly lowers stablility and performance at those temperatures. what cpu fan do you have on it? i would recommend getting a better cpu heatsink/fan and possibly some artic silver.

Im not sure about thoes acusations about intels being hotter than amd's. Im currently enrolled in a computer repair course. i have a video clip of a technician starting up 2 computers WITHOUT HEATSINKS!, one intel and one amd. the intel chips have thermal protection that shuts down the cpu if it reaches about 150-160. the amd chips have no protection and will get up to around 500-600 and will fry themselves.

If anyone knows of a video hoster, ill upload the clips

[edit]
    Motherboard monitor doesnt work for my mobo so i dont know the internal specs but with my temp probe on the back side of the motherboard my temps are the same for the cpu & vga 30.5 celcius. My case is at 25 c and my HDD is the higest at 31.5 c

Fresh Paint

I have four fans ln the case 1 - 80mm front intake, 2 - 80mm side intake, 1 - 120 mm rear exhaust fan, the heatsink and fan on my cpu is intel stock. What did you mean by that cpu was 1 of your mistakes, why?

Rankenphile

Quote Originally Posted by Cana-Balsitic
    Im not sure about thoes acusations about intels being hotter than amd's. Im currently enrolled in a computer repair course. i have a video clip of a technician starting up 2 computers WITHOUT HEATSINKS!, one intel and one amd. the intel chips have thermal protection that shuts down the cpu if it reaches about 150-160. the amd chips have no protection and will get up to around 500-600 and will fry themselves.

If anyone knows of a video hoster, ill upload the clips

[edit]
    Motherboard monitor doesnt work for my mobo so i dont know the internal specs but with my temp probe on the back side of the motherboard my temps are the same for the cpu & vga 30.5 celcius. My case is at 25 c and my HDD is the higest at 31.5 c
    Youtube.com and Google Video are both free video hosting sites.

Life is like an analogy...

the mistake i made was buying the pentium when the athlons were taking over. i got my computer back when i didnt know a heck of a lot about this stuff. at that time, amd had just started shining, but of course i didnt know that.

if i had looked into it a little more, i would be running on either a 754 or early 939 system right now, and i wouldnt be kicking myself because of the performance gap.

Quote Originally Posted by Slug Toy
    im pretty sure i was your car, but i was into mah music and didnt think too much of it

Practice random acts of generosity Omega's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cana-Balsitic

Uh, just because Intel's automatically shut off doesn't mean that under normal conditions (like, with a heatsink?) they run cooler. It just means that there is a fail-safe there.