Thread: Yeong Yang YY-0221B Case - thoughts and musings

If it isn't stock, it's modded! slaveofconvention's Avatar

Default Yeong Yang YY-0221B Case - thoughts and musings

So I want to do a case mod - the Antec 900 Revamp is becoming a memory and any further progress is limited by lack of hardware - I need a worthy PC to put in it before I can do anything clever regarding cables etc.

I would dearly LOVE to mod my server, but I'm afraid I have neither the confidence, or frankly the balls to take a dremel to $400 worth of Lian Li 343b at this time heh - I will do something with it at some point, but I just can't get the courage together yet.

This leaves my OLD server case - the box my Windows Home Server lived in before I went out and spent stupid amounts of money on the Lian Li. It's a Yeong Yang 0221b cube server case. It's a bit of a misnomer really as while it DOES have room for 8 hard drives, it also has room for 6 external 5.25" drives - it's as big, capacity wise, as a full tower, but in a shorter chassis.

I've always thought of doing something Star Trek related with either the YY or the LL - they're cubes and that just naturally (to my trek obsessed mind) leads to a borg cube BUT..... that's SERIOUSLY detailed stuff and I'm pretty sure it's beyond my fabrication abilities to do well so I'm thinking of a borg inspired cube case - green lighting and a custom window, probably something to do with the Borg Logo.

I'm seriously open to ideas at the point - I'll get some photos of the case as it stands - it HAS had some previous minor mods done to it which ARE going to have some effect on what I can do with it now. I've pretty much decided on a colour for the case - I was digging through some colour chips at work today and found a Toyota Colour called Dark Emerald - I like that for a couple of reasons - the name itself it kinda forboding - like the borg, and it's green, like the borg heh - and its got a nice sparkle to it so I can really do it justice with a full automotive quality paint job.

For now, here's a link to the actual product page.
    http://www.yycase.com/yy-0221.htm
    My case is a non-windowed black unit with a couple fan holes cut in the roof and an intake tunnel cut into the front - the roof fans will stay (although probably be replaced with green LED fans) and the front intake needs to be re-done as it's pretty good now, but I can definitely do better....

Current Projects: Lobo | Unimatrix | High Voltage | Antec 900 Revamp (Phase 2)
    Completed Projects: General Lee | Synergy Green | Liquid Yellow
    Planned Projects: K-9-PC | Limey

If it isn't stock, it's modded! slaveofconvention's Avatar

Default Re: Yeong Yang YY-0221B Case - thoughts and musings

Ok scrap this - I've learned from experience that if I talk about something, and think about something and plan something, little gets done - so I'm just going to DO this - catch you all in the Works in Progress .....

Current Projects: Lobo | Unimatrix | High Voltage | Antec 900 Revamp (Phase 2)
    Completed Projects: General Lee | Synergy Green | Liquid Yellow
    Planned Projects: K-9-PC | Limey