Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: High CPU temps

Default High CPU temps

Hi
    I've been running watercooling for a while now and the temps seem suspiciously high to me. I'm using:
    Block: http://www.swiftnets.com/products/Apogee-XT.asp
    Rad:http://www.frozencpu.com/products/90...?tl=g30c95s930
    Pump: http://www.dangerden.com/store/eheim-1048.html#tabs

And my "i7 920 D0" at stock settings is currently at 75C under 25% load.

Is this normal? Or if not, do you have any idea what may be causing it?

Thanks in advance.
    Projects: RGB Tower - Custom CPU water block

Watching someone else use your computer is like watching a drunk orangutan solve a rubix cube. They have no idea what they're doing and you just wish they'd hand you the damn thing so you can do it yourself.
    -TheOatmeal

Default Re: High CPU temps

Check your pump, Check the seating on the block
    Not dead yet

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

yea 75C under load is about what the stock Intel HSF setup will get you. Something's not right

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Yeah, that's too high. Besides what diluzio mentioned, make sure nothing's obstructing the airflow for the fans on the rad.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

1) Make sure water is moving properly.
    2) Increase airflow over radiator.
    3) If airflow is coming from the case before passing through the radiator, make sure that the case is well ventilated. Cool air cools better than hot air.
    4) Reseat the waterblock with AS5 or similar thermal paste. Dab some (about the size of a grain of rice) on the center of the CPU and let the waterblock squash it down to avoid trapping any air. Temperature cycles will cause the paste to flow a bit so tighten the block after a week or so.
    5) Lap the waterblock and/or CPU. Neither Intel or AMD make flat IHSs and some heatsink manufacturers realize this and make their products convex for 'a better fit'. It makes sense because most people don't know/don't care or simply don't have the balls to lap their CPU. Two semi-perfect flat surfaces are ideal though. Just be careful if you do as warranty = void.
    I'll procrastinate tomorrow.

i had that issue when i first put my loop together with that same block. i had to return the base because it was warped and only half of it was touching the cpu so it was overheating its self. it is a great block tho.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmEv View Post
    Or are you talking about vending machine choice C-4?

mmmmm... skittles....
    bench mark software.

video bios flashing guide

Thanks for the help
    I removed the loop from my case and a huge bubble rose from the block : /
    I also replaced the thermal paste (AS ceramique) and now it's running at slightly below 60C after 30 mins of folding proteins @ home (100% CPU load).

Will probably check the seating of the block in a few days. And will check the base of the block as well to see if it's warped as blaze's was.

It's very nice to have this community to ask about these things
    Projects: RGB Tower - Custom CPU water block

Watching someone else use your computer is like watching a drunk orangutan solve a rubix cube. They have no idea what they're doing and you just wish they'd hand you the damn thing so you can do it yourself.
    -TheOatmeal

Quote Originally Posted by Diamon View Post
    Thanks for the help
    I also replaced the thermal paste (AS ceramique) and now it's running at slightly below 60C after 30 mins of folding proteins @ home (100% CPU load).

Will probably check the seating of the block in a few days. And will check the base of the block as well to see if it's warped as blaze's was.

It's very nice to have this community to ask about these things
    it must be a bubble issue with this block as well because i always have to keep checking mine. maybe its a flow rate issue.but yeah the bubble was more then likely your issue. 60 c seems to be about right for an i7 at 100%.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmEv View Post
    Or are you talking about vending machine choice C-4?

mmmmm... skittles....
    bench mark software.

video bios flashing guide

Quote Originally Posted by Diamon
    Quote Originally Posted by blaze15301
    it must be a bubble issue with this block as well because i always have to keep checking mine. maybe its a flow rate issue.
    If one nozzle is higher than the other, make sure the water flows in the bottom and out of the top one. The water should force any air through the rest of the loop to a radiator plenum or a reservoir. Filling the loop outside the system and rotating blocks and radiators around can remove 100% of the air as well, but sometimes this just isn't feasible.
    I'll procrastinate tomorrow.

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Ouch, yeah, that bubble will do it.

Personally what I do for bleeding my loop is I mount it all in my case, then using a fillport at the top of the case, I fill it, then turn on the pump, seal the fillport, and rotate the whole thing around. ...just make sure you have a strong, rigid, case before trying that..
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV