Thread: what in the ram is going on ?? please help!!!

Fresh Paint

Default what in the ram is going on ?? please help!!!

hey guys, was wondering if someone could shed some light for me..

evga 750i ftw
    e8600 @ 4.0
    gtx460 sli
    ((4gig dominator xms2-8500 1066 soon to be 8
    kingston 64gig ssd soon to be 250gig
    corsair hx650
    corsair h50.

ok so i got the extra 4gig ram thinking it would help out my nova bench score which was 88 but still memory score is only 88? also windows performance for ram did not change from 5.5... looked on nova bench and dudes with 2 gig ram are getting 100 plus with 800mhz ram? where am i going wrong ??? here are some pics of bios settings... thanks for your help in advanced.

(ps on my old mobo which was gigabyte i am sure my scores where higher )

http://img269.imageshack.us/i/img0550w.jpg/

http://img822.imageshack.us/i/img0551vf.jpg/

http://img88.imageshack.us/i/img0552kt.jpg/

http://img861.imageshack.us/i/img0553c.jpg/

If it isn't stock, it's modded! slaveofconvention's Avatar

Default Re: what in the ram is going on ?? please help!!!

More RAM won't improve a RAM benchmark as it's measuring thruput mainly - how fast it get get stuff into and out of the memory. More modules often results in a slightly slower rate anyway because to run it all at the same speed, the fastest ram can be crippled down to the speed of the lowest. (Even if thats just a few Mhz, it can count in benchmarks.

Windows score for RAM is definitely not improved by quantity. My main system is running 4x 2gb DDR2 800 and I get 7.2 under 7, but I only got 5.8 under Vista - a small overclock to 825mhz was required to get it up to 5.9.

Current Projects: Lobo | Unimatrix | High Voltage | Antec 900 Revamp (Phase 2)
    Completed Projects: General Lee | Synergy Green | Liquid Yellow
    Planned Projects: K-9-PC | Limey

Quote Originally Posted by onaid View Post

ok so i got the extra 4gig ram thinking it would help out my nova bench score which was 88 but still memory score is only 88? also windows performance for ram did not change from 5.5... looked on nova bench and dudes with 2 gig ram are getting 100 plus with 800mhz ram? where am i going wrong ??? here are some pics of bios settings... thanks for your help in advanced.
    Hey, welcome to TBCS.
    The only thing I saw that was odd was 2.0v instead of 2.1. I'm not sure that would have any negative effect, but you might be able to tighten the timings below spec at 2.1v. I suspect that is how the l337 benchmark enthusiasts milked so many points out of their 800 sticks. While I'm not very experienced with OCing RAM, I've played with it a little and have found that tightening timings is less effective but usually more reliable than increasing the clock speed over stock. You can also try 1T or even 0T command rates if your board will let you.
    The only setting that could possibly damage your RAM if improperly set is the voltage, so leave that at the default 2.1v and play around with the clock speed and timing settings to see if you can milk some more points out of your RAM.
    I'll procrastinate tomorrow.

Fresh Paint

cheers guys thanks for your help will give it a crack today..

Like a Lightning Bolt in Your Cheerios! Drum Thumper's Avatar

Just out of curiosity....32 bit or 64 bit OS?
    Quote Originally Posted by artoodeeto View Post
    aw heck guys. We're modders. Let's just build our own, shall we?

DrumThumper.net || The Brewing Art ||
    My Flickr Stream

Fresh Paint

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

In that case, you're not gonna be able to touch that additional 4GB. In fact, you probably can't touch the last ~512MB of what you have now.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Fresh Paint

sweet will give 64bit a go, having some post problems now. used to hit 4.2 on my e8600 but now after playing with ram settings will not post, freezing up, but if i knock it back under to say 3.9 all is well ? somthing fishy is going on. thanks very much for your reply will let you guys know how it went with 64 bit.

Fresh Paint

cheers guys, its always the simple things that get ya, 149 new nova ram score. very happy with the 64bit os. now to get the e8600 @ 4.5