Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The ideal building material...

Default Re: The ideal building material...

I'm in the UK as well and if your still after plasticard I bought some from here

A3 size you wanted would be within the 325mm x 440mm x 2mm sheets they sell and 18 sheets would cost around £53, don't know about p+p as it would be quite heavy.
    If you have found it cheaper somewhere else please post a link to them as I want some more plasticard soon myself.

Anodized

better late than never....

are you planning to vacuum form the plasticard? i have absolutely no idea what you're trying to form or the size, though if you've given fibreglass a consideration, i'm guessing it's large? is it possible to use a bit of wood or rebar for an armature, then some chicken wire (or any kind of support you want) and expandable foam, the kind you get in a can and you can shape/sculpt/hollow out? you can even paint the stuff once you put some filler in there.

vacuum forming was my first idea, though even that sounds out of your price range, unfortunately. bits of wood can often be had for nothing if you keep an eye out on trash day, lol. sometimes people can get you really nice wood skids if you ask around, though the quality of these can vary greatly. just thought i'd throw that out there.

Hey Beta Brain, sorry I missed your post as I can possibly help you out! I went ahead and ordered my stuff from Trylon and the page you want is here :

I called them up as I wasn't sure that the stuff for vacuum forming would be the same kind of stuff as standard plasticard but I was told it was so I bought a whole bunch of it and couldn't be happier. I got 9 sheets of the stuff for about £34 and it's roughly A2 size (though they're cut to fit formers so not available in actual paper-sizes) Not only do I feel I got myself a bargain but the stuff arrived the very next day and it also came with a little A4 catalogue of a whole bunch of awesome other bits and pieces they supply!

It's funny that you've used that station baseboards as I spoke to him myself some time ago about sourcing this stuff for me but it always seemed like a lot of hassle as he'd need to order it in and such.

As for what I wanted it for... No I'm not using it to vacuum form, just a standard build. And yes I am building something rather large.

Ladies and gentlemen may I introduce to you the X-88 Mammoth Mark 1 of Command and Conquer fame!

This is on hold at the moment as I have some more stuff to be doing to the laptop case but it's come along very nicely so far. I need to finish 4 more small pieces to complete the two front track pods and then I can attach them to the body. two pieces still need cutting for the top but they'll be removable to allow internal access as I'm going to making the bad boy RC! After that it's just the turret to do before I have to start with the plating, detailing and hardware (all of which I already had but didn't come cheap!) The significance of the image of track is a comparison between 1:16 scale Tiger, King Tiger and hadn modified Mammoth tank tracks respectively. I need about 3.5meters of the stuff for the whole build and am currently 1/4 of the way there with it! I've figured out how to drive it but need more parts for the suspension and bogey wheels. Also need a battery, some crystals and a controller for it. Oh and I don't have any turning/lifting/firing hardware for the turret yet. I do have all the control boards, gearboxes and sprocket wheels for the tracks however (and Heng Long no less ) so it's getting there.

Anyway there's a build thread here > http://www.rctankwarfare.co.uk/forum...hp?f=23&t=7270 for anyone interested in the journey so far. I'd have shared it here but it doesn't seem to fit with what we do so it's over at RC tank warfare which is turning out to be a very good site with some very helpful guys in it!

I'll let everyone return to their normal business now

Always loved Mammoth tanks
    My mind says Technic, but my body says Duplo.

Anodized

i'm just glad to see what you were working on. looks good so far.

i take it that that's the plasticard?

Quote Originally Posted by Munty View Post
    I'd have shared it here but it doesn't seem to fit with what we do
    Whaaaa???? There's a little bit of everything on here. Yes most of it is computer related but not exclusively. We've got motorcycles, trucks, cars, mobile audio threads. If it's a matter of not wanting to do multiple work logs that's understandable.

By the way that thing is looking AWESOME!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by SXRguyinMA View Post
    Now, off to the basement to do some fiddling with the rods and such.
    so far left of center i'm in right field

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by msmrx57 View Post
    Whaaaa???? There's a little bit of everything on here. Yes most of it is computer related but not exclusively. We've got motorcycles, trucks, cars, mobile audio threads.
    Heheh, yup.

That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Quote Originally Posted by Munty View Post
    Hey Beta Brain, sorry I missed your post as I can possibly help you out! I went ahead and ordered my stuff from Trylon and the page you want is here :
    Thanks for that, I've not seen the Trylon site before and it has some really useful stuff on it, loving the tank build I used to build a lot of armour and military vehicle kits but never any RC models.

Have you seen this before? The Dension WiFi RC is a plug∧play wireless RC receiver.
    It allows you to control your RC car, boat, tank, construction machine or any other RC vehicle with your iPhone using WiFi. The iPhone application, available for free in the App Store, lets you drive with on-screen joysticks or by tilting the phone, while watching the real-time video stream coming from your vehicle.
    You can quickly access 8+4 channels of output, adjust the sensitivity and trimming, just like on a professional transmitter.

VERY

I'd like to build something just to try that out but I don't have an iphone although the Android app is under development.

Haha yeah soudns very cool but I also have no iPhone I figure a normal phone works just fine and anything a cheap one doesn't do, well that's what computers are for :p I have the luxury of not needing email and internet when I'm out of the house (though it's my personal opinion that 99% of people who have it are actually in the same boat) so why bother?

Anyway... Yes I'm aware there's a misc section here but I thought it would be simpler to have it just in one place which of course should be the most suitable for the type of project it is. In this case that's the tank site Maybe I'll make a thread here when it's finished but for now I'll leave you guys with just the link for it if you want to check it out.

Anyway still no progress on this OR the lappy right now as I'm trying to get fit and have been at the gym a lot :p Am further along with the lappy so that's taking precedence and is nearly done but I need to stay focused for one final push! After that I'll get back to the Mammoth, I do have 9 new games arriving this week too though so it might be a little longer yet before I carry on!

Stupid Easter holiday making me stop modding lol

(And yes that IS the stuff from Trylon, it's really great and I'd certainly recommend it! Thanks for the comments folks!)