Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some really slick mods

Default Some really slick mods

Sudhian's SFF Tech Gallery
    PC Max site, warning this is in German

The SlackMeister

those SFFs look so cool. if i get some $$ in the summer, i might get a shuttle for my parents.

I love em, went through countless SFF systems over the years, my main rig is a Shuttle.

The SlackMeister

now i see why you are selling so many shuttle parts. they look really cool. i dont want to get a SFF for my main rig because i already have a good case and PSU and mobo. by going SFF, i'll need to sell all of it. but SFF would be great for my parents, small, looks good and clean, pair up with wireless mouse/keyboard and an LCD. i think thats gonna be my present to them for their anniversary or something like that.

Water Cooled

i wouldnt have a sff pc as my main comp. they look really nice and have potential to be modded heavily, but in performance they wont beat something that a full tower size is capable of (dual gpu, advanced wc, number of hds and so on). Id love to have more pc's for different things, like a server, a gaming rig, an htpc and of course sff is an excellent choice if you have more and you can specialize them, but i cant afford more than 1 comp so it has to do everything maybe if ill have money ill build one or two but for now its out of scope

Overclocked

Sff dont have the psu capabailities anyways on the 12v rail for even some of te higher end cards. sff is more for like tivo and multimedia centers in my opinion. They are still cool though.

I wanted to do sff originally instead of the silent cat project but It didnt meet my requirements.

I wouldnt mind onmne though for a small server.

Hmm maybe ill tarde of some of my old stuff for a sff lol and mod one.
    Mesh makes the world go around!!!!

Frakk,
    Dual GPU motherboards wont be around for quite sometime yes, but the rest can be had with a shuttle, you might not have a 4 drive raid setup (I have seen it done though) But for the average rig it suits just fine.

Whisp,
    The PSU capabilities of the Shuttle PSU you describe aren't accurate. There are countless guys running the highest end GFX cards with dual 74g raptors and a DVD burner with HTPC cards. The 250w silentX PSUs are equivelent to a 400+w no name PSU. FWIW a few of Pauls customs rigs are being powered by the Silent X. What specifically do you mean by they dont have what it takwes on the 12v rail? I'll test a few out for ya.

Water Cooled

Quote Originally Posted by ZeD
    Frakk,
    Dual GPU motherboards wont be around for quite sometime yes, but the rest can be had with a shuttle, you might not have a 4 drive raid setup (I have seen it done though) But for the average rig it suits just fine.
    Thats what I wrote. They are nice if you have more than one comp, but for me, it has to be all in one, home server, gaming machine and all that. plus if i want to put extra cards or drives in a tower i can easily do that, with a shuttle its harder. they are really nice if you build one for a specific task thats all im saying.

Overclocked

Hmm yeah I just noticed that te 250 has a 16 amp 12 v rail. So thats 192 watts. Thats pretty decent and should be able to do like an ultra and a high end fx chip. Going to be really close though because a fx chip is 89 watts and an ulktra card is at least 100 watts easily. And thats non overclocked. That also doesn't leave room for overclocking or a lot of other devices.

Probably looking at like a 3500+ with a 6600GT and the rest of the hard ware which is a budget system in my opinion and not high end. This is why I say it wont do high end systems.

Also saying that a 250 is like a 400 watt is like comparing apples to oranges because it depends on the quality of the work inside. The proper statement would be to say the 250 is a great quality psu and actually pushes the amps that are specified for each rail. It really is a misconception to state that the 250 is like a no name crappy 400 since most likely the rails are weak on the 400 and it actually doesnt push the amps stated for each rail.

Isnt ther a 300 watt though of those psu that canbe bought?
    Last edited by Whisp; 04-10-2005 at 10:42 AM.
    Mesh makes the world go around!!!!

The One and Only

I have no problem running this on a 240W shuttle PSU:

A64 3400+ @ 2464 (11x224)
    6800GT OC @ 415/1090
    74GB Raptor
    12V Laing D4 pump
    Vantec Tornado fan
    A couple of CCFLs.

Oh and it could OC until I hit the limit of the Sata controller.
    www mashie org