Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Classic Car Restoration

Fresh Paint

Default Classic Car Restoration

I truly admire the level of craftsmanship that some members of this forum display with their PCs, and I assume most members have a similar admiration. I am wondering if anyone here also restores cars, or has a knack for old muscle/classic cars. Personally, I am a HUGE car guy, and there are few things that I enjoy more than restoring cars. Does anyone else on the forum share my passion? I find that modifying and building computers is very similar to modifying and restoring cars, except cars usually require a larger investment lol. I would love to recieve some links to threads of your car restorations. I know it's not the greatest restoration thread, but here is a link to a thread that shows some of the progress I have made on my old Pontiac Trans AM.

http://www.78ta.com/smf/index.php?topic=21930.0

My father and I (mostly him lol) own the following cars
    1936 Chevy Sedan - Body is in primer, SB Chev 350/TH350 trans, no interior
    1946 Ford Pickup (completely restored) - Cadillac dark red paint, Original Flathead/4 on the floor, custom gray cloth interior
    1966 Lincoln Continental Convertible - Cream paint/suicide doors/black top, All original Ford 460/Auto (not sure type of transmission), black interior (front bench seat)
    1981 Pontiac Trans AM (mine) - Black with no hood bird (yet), Pontiac 455/TH350 trans, black interior (in the works)

Please feel free to share information about your cars, I look forward to hearing it.
    A Sphincter says what?

Custom Title Honors

Default Re: Classic Car Restoration

i have done my share of restoring "classic" cars. to most people, the ones i have done would only be considered classic in that they qualify for historic tags.

unfortunately my build threads are on forums that can only be viewed by members. but here are a few before and after pics.

the '85 merkur xr4ti before

after

the '86 before

after

my current project "79 toyota celica supra

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

There are a few threads on the 'Misc Projects' board about car projects. Personally I also quite enjoy classic cars and restoring them, but I haven't done one myself yet because...
    Quote Originally Posted by littlecompadre View Post
    except cars usually require a larger investment lol
    I do, however, have a 1980 Honda CM400T motorcycle that I ride whenever I can and that I am slowly returning to stock condition and a 1982 Honda CM450E that is in pretty bad condition atm, but is going to be the base for an electric conversion over the next year or so. Motorcycles are a fair bit cheaper to restore than cars.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Custom Title Honors

Quote Originally Posted by x88x View Post
    Motorcycles are a fair bit cheaper to restore than cars.
    ain't that the truth! my mechanic friend has started restoring and souping up old 80's vintage scooters cuz they are cheaper than saabs. lol.

I think a lot of the "older" modders on here most likely are into cars. I myself included.

I have owned roughly 150 cars that I can remember. I love muscle-cars for the most part but I do appreciate anything that is nice or unique.

I tend to stick with Chevy but I've had just about everything. I've had everything from the 30's to modern performance. The one I have kept through it all is my beloved 1969 Chevelle SS396 that I saved from going to the scrap yard. It was a parts car that was going to be crushed until I saw it.

It may look stock but it has a 468 cid engine that was built by a power hungry maniac (me). Dyno posted 539 HP with 518 ft/lbs. torque. It has 3" exhaust that sets off car alarms as it idles through parking lots. It will burn rubber at 55 mph and get sideways.
    And it's built to handle corners too. I did all the work myself except the seats because I can't sew.

This is just one of many that I have saved from scrap over the years. I have turned my passion to pc modding though. It's easier, cheaper, and a LOT cleaner.

I think you will see this thread grow quick.
    Life is tough, it's even tougher when you're stupid. - John Wayne

If you can't hack it, you don't own it! Oneslowz28's Avatar

I did the car thing once upon a time and went to excess with it. Did a 64 1/2 mustang 69 mustang 99 eclipse gsx 95 eclipse gs and 1994 camaro z28 that at the end of my ownership was pushing 600+ to the wheels. The classics were done with my grandfather. The rest were mine. Nothing else until I can afford a factory 5 roadster

I love those Factory Five Roadsters.

They are really nice. I will at some point be doing the GTM. I've made the space by selling off my car collection so now it's just all about spare time.

1970 mach 1 - the car that taught me how to drive.

351C, Rack & pinion, upgraded suspension, electrical, exhaust, and other bells and whistles

Quote Originally Posted by Mach View Post
    [/IMG]

351C, Rack & pinion, upgraded suspension, electrical, exhaust, and other bells and whistles
    My aunt had one almost identical to that when I was a kid. Such an awesome car. My cousin took me for a ride in it down to the beach and we did doughnuts until one time the wheels dug in and we put the car on it's side. What's crazy is that we climbed out, had people help push the car back over, and there was no damage?? It took a second to start but then we drove it back and never said a word.
    Last edited by BS Mods; 03-19-2011 at 01:34 PM. Reason: .

The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mach View Post
    And where you got your username from?
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

Tri.fecta