Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm going to get my feet wet...

Fresh Paint

Default I'm going to get my feet wet...

First time water cooling a rig. Better to go with a kit, or buy seperate pieces?

Any guides out there that are really good in describing what I should buy (i.e. a parts list)? I looked, but most of what I see is some guy blogging and he's just as likely to get it wrong as right.

How much should I get cooled? I am going with just a Sandybridge processer and a single graphics card. maybe 8 Gig or so Ram. Do I need to water cool the memory as well, or just the cpu ang gpu? Mobo?

My goal is QQQQQUUUUUIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEETTTTTTTTTT!

My current rig sounds like an airplane taking off. I would rather hear the soft gurggling of water over the loud din of a fan.

Default Re: I'm going to get my feet wet...

if you are looking to watercool, you have several things to consider, the biggest one is cost, followed by space, if you have a HAF x you have more options than you would if you had say, a micro atx case. That being said. you need to find some way to get at least 240mm of radiator space inside, 360 is ideal, 480 might be okay, but it could just add extra noise and resistance. so my list would go like this
    places to shop: Performance-pcs.com, jab-tech.com, and dangerden.com will be your friends.

Radiator, look for one you can fit in your case, my advice would be to get one with a lower FPI count, as it gives you less resistance and a lower noise level.

CPU block, get a DD block, i say that because DD is super helpful and will answer all your questions.

GPU block, get a full cover block, Dangerden again, as the blocks are low flow restriction.

Ram should be okay with minimal airflow

fans, get some good ones, you want low sound, look for some with a higher static pressure, xigmatec makes good quiet fans if you like them flashy

reservior, get one. they make life easier.

Pump, read some reviews, mounting is 90% of the battle, as you need to be careful about how you mount it so it wont buzz or rattle.

fittings. what size tubing do you need, i recommend 3/8 as 1/2 is thicker and a bit harder to work with, will you use barb fittings? or pay a little extra for compression fittings (much more leak proof)

Plan EVERYTHING out. dont forget that because you can fit 2 fans you wont necessarily be able to fit a radiator which has about an extra 1/4 inch on each side, and an extra 1.5 inches off the fitting side.

More specifics about your system would be helpful so we can help you to pick parts.
    Not dead yet

you need to start off by answering a few questions first,

what's your budget?
    do you want an internal setup or external?

since you want quiet you will want a rad with a low FPI (fins per inch) which do tend to cost a bit more then most, but you can get away with cheaper rads, will discuss more once you post your budget.

IMO and most, water cooling ram is the biggest waste of money and serves no purpose other then looks. i've yet to see any ram that performs better with water vs air.

what gpu do you have? so far on what you said you will need at least a triple 120mm for a low noise option and decent-good temps.

you can go with 3/8" or 1/2" ID tubing, though i prefer 7/16" as it's in the middle of the road. but it really doesn't matter.

in the mean time, have a look through these guides for more info, it will be needed.

http://overclockerstech.com/index.ph...ling&Itemid=88

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/25...rcooling-guide

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/s...d.php?t=631501 - though i personally take my blocks apart to inspect for anything.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/s...d.php?t=643364

Quote Originally Posted by diluzio91 View Post
    or pay a little extra for compression fittings (much more leak proof)
    False. a properly sized barb and gear/worm clamp are just as good if not better, and i would say better when it comes to leaks, or lack of. i can easily pull out my tubing from my properly sized compression fittings, but i can't with a barb and clamp.

all compression's offer is looks, and ease of use over barbs, and the last one is a bit of a stretch.
    CPU: Q6600 G0 3.5GHz@1.4v (4.2GHz max) / 4790k 4.8ghz @1.265v
    GPU: 9800GTX /GTX780 hydrocopper
    Ram: Samsung 4GB /gskill 16gb DDR3 1600
    Mobo: EVGA-NF68-A1 680i (P32) /AsRock Extreme6
    PSU: Enermax Galaxy 850Watt /EVGA 850 G2
    HDD: OCZ 120GB Vertex4, Samsung evo 840 250GB
    LCD: Samsung 32" LN32A450, Samsung 226BW 22" wide
    Sound: Logtiech Z 5500
    CPU & GPU: 3x Swiftech MCR320, 2x MCP655, MCW60 R2, Dtek Fuzion V2, 18 high speed yates @ 5v

Fresh Paint

Well, I don't have all the specifics yet. Haven't picked up the mobo as I am waiting for them to be available. getting the CPU after I find the right mobo. Also still in the market for a graphics card.

What I do know:
    Case: Dragon Rider (Inwin). So, I should have plenty of space
    Power: Seasonic X-850
    Hard Drive: 1x WD Cavier Black (2 TB). May add a second.
    Optical Drive: Forget which one. Blu-ray writer. May add a second space permitting.
    Mobo: PROBABLY ASUS Maximus. Not 100% sure. Open to suggestions.
    CPU: PROBABLY i7-2600K. Open to arguments, but prefer 2600 to 2400.
    Memory: TBD. 8-16 GB.
    GPU: TBD. Single card (not going to SLI or X-FIRE). Open to suggestions.

Also through in some assorting lighting maybe. I like flare.

Was thinking of a fan controller, or a pump controller in one of the 5 inch slots.

Also probably add an all-in-one reader / USB ports in one of the 5 inch slots

Budget: Meh. It costs what it costs. I would rather spend an extra $100 to do it right then spend $200 next year cause I did it wrong. However, I am not likely to pick out gold plated tubing for example. I'll gladly spend extra for a quality component but don't want to spend money that doesn't deliver me anything for it. I figured the entire system may cost about $1500-2K when complete. Only about $500 in I think.

Oh... should add, I do play games, so this sucker will have to do more then e-mail and surf.

And as I said, I like it to be a quiet as I can while still having the power to play games. My ideal system would be almost silent when surfing the web, but I am okay with it spinning up a bit when I am taxing it.

Ideally, everything would be internal if it can all fit. However, I am okay with external if needs must be so.

Quote Originally Posted by Linias View Post
    Well, I don't have all the specifics yet. Haven't picked up the mobo as I am waiting for them to be available. getting the CPU after I find the right mobo. Also still in the market for a graphics card.

What I do know:
    Case: Dragon Rider (Inwin). So, I should have plenty of space
    Power: Seasonic X-850
    Hard Drive: 1x WD Cavier Black (2 TB). May add a second.
    Optical Drive: Forget which one. Blu-ray writer. May add a second space permitting.
    Mobo: PROBABLY ASUS Maximum. Not 100% sure. Open to suggestions.
    CPU: PROBABLY i7-2600K. Open to arguments, but prefer 2600 to 2400.
    Memory: TBD. 8-16 GB.
    GPU: TBD. Single card (not going to SLI or X-FIRE). Open to suggestions.

Also through in some assorting lighting maybe. I like flare.

Was thinking of a fan controller, or a pump controller in one of the 5 inch slots.

Also probably add an all-in-one reader / USB ports in one of the 5 inch slots

Budget: Meh. It costs what it costs. I would rather spend an extra $100 to do it right then spend $200 next year cause I did it wrong. However, I am not likely to pick out gold plated tubing for example. I'll gladly spend extra for a quality component but don't want to spend money that doesn't deliver me anything for it. I figured the entire system may cost about $1500-2K when complete. Only about $500 in I think.
    to cool your setup (cpu and gpu) look to set aside about $400-$500 for all new stuff. if you get a full cover GPU block that will be at least $80-$120

since you seem to want to fill up your front drive bays, then a res/pump combo is likely a good choice for you.

here are some Excellent pumps and bay res's that you combine once you get the parts.

Dual loops

XSPC Acrylic Dual 5.25” Reservoir
    + 2x Swiftech MCP355

Single Loop

XSPC Acrylic Dual 5.25” Reservoir
    + Swiftech MCP355

XSPC Acrylic Dual 5.25” Reservoir + either pump below
    Swiftech MCP655 Vario - adjustable speed and 1 speed faster then the basic
    Swiftech MCP655 Basic - is equal to the vario on setting 4.

koolance has a new res which look's pretty sick though costs a pretty penny as well.
    they have them For the MCP655/Laing D5
    CPU & GPU: 3x Swiftech MCR320, 2x MCP655, MCW60 R2, Dtek Fuzion V2, 18 high speed yates @ 5v

Fresh Paint

What I would love to do, but is probably out of scope for this project (and is completely offtopic, and probably not even possible) is to have the thing be almost dark and silent when at low power like email or surfing, but have it start to turn on more lights and add in cooling as needed. You know, have it create the illussion of this ultra-powerful machine when it wants to bring all it's resources to bear, but when not needed will put parts of itself to sleep.

But as I said - that's off topic to the cooling system.

Quote Originally Posted by Linias View Post
    What I would love to do, but is probably out of scope for this project (and is completely offtopic, and probably not even possible) is to have the thing be almost dark and silent when at low power like email or surfing, but have it start to turn on more lights and add in cooling as needed. You know, have it create the illussion of this ultra-powerful machine when it wants to bring all it's resources to bear, but when not needed will put parts of itself to sleep.

But as I said - that's off topic to the cooling system.
    it is possible IMO but you would need to know how to mod alot of things. for example there is a bay device that let's you know your power supplies usage, but only up to 850watt power supplies. if you could find a way to tap into that reading and have it then adjust your fans speeds and light levels you could do as you said.

of use thermally adjusted fans and lighting so when the heat goes up it adjusts accordingly.

Fresh Paint

Quote Originally Posted by Spawn-Inc View Post
    to cool your setup (cpu and gpu) look to set aside about $400-$500 for all new stuff. if you get a full cover GPU block that will be at least $80-$120
    Roger that.

since you seem to want to fill up your front drive bays, then a res/pump combo is likely a good choice for you.
    Yeah, I have been looking at some of those. Only concern is quality of the pump.

Regarding Dual / Single: Do I need a dual? Or is running Single in serial better? Better to do Pump->CPU->Rad->GPU->Rad->Res or better to have 2 going Pump->CPU->Rad->Res and Pump->GPU->Rad->Res?

koolance has a new res which look's pretty sick though costs a pretty penny as well.
    they have them For the MCP655/Laing D5
    Like that one. Not out for 2 weeks, but than again my mobo probably wont be either. So maybe dual loops with differnt colors in each res / loop?

Fresh Paint

Oh, and do I need to cool the motherboard as well? Or just CPU and GPU and leave the rest to the air fans?

I believe with the sandy bridge there is no north bridge to cool but I could be wrong air should be sufficient even with overclocking...
    Not dead yet