Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: TRON Lightcycle

The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar

Default Re: TRON Lightcycle

Can I ride it play on it when you're done?
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

Tri.fecta

Modding the World, One Case at a Time Boddaker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AmEv View Post
    Can I ride it play on it when you're done?
    Sorry, there's a 35lb weight limit.
    Honey Roasted Peanuts Ingredients: Salt; Artificial honey roasting agents; Pressed peanut sweepings.

Its not cool till its watercooled. Fuganater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Boddaker View Post
    Sweet! My daughter can drive it around.

The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fuganater's kid
    WHEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!1!
    lol
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

Tri.fecta

Quote Originally Posted by Boddaker View Post
    Sweet... On the GRID I weigh less then 35lbs! I hope that counts.

Great work Bod! Looking fantastic.

haha I should get a picture of my daughter on it, she should still be under the limit.

Thanks everyone for the great comments. I think I'm having the most fun with this build, and it's mostly due to you guys and your awesome feedback.

Ok, more goodies! I couldn't resist getting Razer's TRON themed keyboard and mouse with mouse pad to go with the build. I usually mod the peripherals to fit the given theme of my projects anyway, so this was a bonus And I have to say that Razer did a great job with the TRON design. I doubt I could have done as good a job, or even come close to the level of awesomeness!
    Let me just show you with pics:

Even the packaging is cool! Opening the box revealed a thick smoked acrylic cover over the keyboard, with subtle TRON and Razer logos on it.

The keyboard is well-built with TRON style lettering that lights up, and a separate number keypad that can be mounted on either side of the keyboard with the provided connector piece.

Here it is lit up. There are audio connections on the keyboard as well, so I can plug my headphones in right there.

The mouse/pad kit came in the same killer box with protective smoked acrylic cover.

Pure TRON pr0n lol.

And the best part, the mouse pad has an electro-luminescent coating on it that reacts to a special led under the mouse, so it leaves a light trail as it moves across the pad, just like the lightcycle!
    Honey Roasted Peanuts Ingredients: Salt; Artificial honey roasting agents; Pressed peanut sweepings.

Custom Title Honors

ok, i have been lusting over the tron mouse and keyboard since i first saw them, but had already spent my moneys on a r.a.t. mouse.

i can't believe that thought to use these on your light cycle case never even came close to entering my mind. glad you thought of it.

of course now that i see the lettering lights up on the keyboard and the mouse pad leaves a trail, i may have to start saving for these.

More progress on the tubes. Got them painted inside and out, after taping off the areas where the ribs will be glued. Then after doing a light test, I decided to chamfer the ends to widen the glow area a bit.

I set up the router table with a 45° chamfer bit, and made a semi-circuler fence for the tube to fit in so it wouldn't go anywhere, then I slowly rotated it by hand 360°.

All four ends done.

For lighting, I'll be using these blue light strips wrapped around the tube center...

... like so.

A close up shot of the glowing end.

And an overhead shot.

The part on the bottom is darker because there is about a 3" gap between the ends of the light strip (it's 20" long, and the circumference of the tube is roughly 23"). I will cut a 2nd strip down to fill in that area. Otherwise, I think that is pretty much the look I was going for.

Its not cool till its watercooled. Fuganater's Avatar

Looking good. I love that Tron keyboard and mouse. Too bad it isn't in a different color.

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Looks great, and good idea with that semi-circular guide.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV