Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: TRON Lightcycle

Modding the World, One Case at a Time Boddaker's Avatar

Default Re: TRON Lightcycle

Thanks Richie for all the led help! I'll definitely be testing out my lighting options, especially since the lighting is so integral to the TRON theme.

To clarify, I will not be lighitng the U shape as you have shown in your illustration. I'll be lighting the center rib piece that U shape goes around. See this reference pic from the lightcycle:

I had the center rib cut from transparent blue acrylic, so it will already have a blue tint to it. I'll try some different colors, but it should yield a good bluish glow using some white, or even uv leds.

Your suggestions still have merit though, regardless of which piece I'll be illuminating, so I appreciate the advice.
    Honey Roasted Peanuts Ingredients: Salt; Artificial honey roasting agents; Pressed peanut sweepings.

Bodcast: Weekend Edition!

Trying to finish up the fairings this weekend, and I think I got pretty far today. I started with getting the U shaped piece integrated into the rear fairings.

Now that the fairings are securely bolted in place, I can mark where the U shape will go and notch out the fairings.

Cut away some material so the U shape fits in there. Here I've marked where the fairings meet up so I can cut away the extra thats hanging down below. I taped a 1/8" drill bit to the top of the center rib to get the correct spacing between it and the U shape.

Since the mark was above the fairings, I cut about 1/4" below that to allow for the thickness of the fairings.

After cutting, I roughed up the U shape and glued it in place, positioning it with some cardboard spacers.

Once that was glued, I had to turn the entire thing upside down so I could apply more plasti-paste to the underside of the fairings to join them together and strengthen areas like the U shape. I notched a piece of scrap wood to help keep everything aligned correctly.

I taped the seams at the top to give the paste some backing while it sets up.

Here's the seam from the underside.

A shot after applying more goop.

And the same underside shot of the seam with the goop.

I joined the fairings together at the bottom as well (The bike is still upside down).

Once everything set up, I could remove it from the bike as one piece.

Ta-daah!

The piece is really starting to take on some weight now, and it's pretty solid.

Looking back, I probably could have molded the rear fairing as one piece, and just cut the center slot and add the U shape, which would have made it more uniform. But I didn't really know the exact width when I started, and it was easier to add the mounting rails this way. I think it came out pretty well. I probably have one more bondo/sanding session before I can throw some primer at it. Hopefully I can take care of that today.
    Honey Roasted Peanuts Ingredients: Salt; Artificial honey roasting agents; Pressed peanut sweepings.

Its not cool till its watercooled. Fuganater's Avatar

Amazing mod. Will be watching this one.

Overclocked

Quote Originally Posted by Boddaker View Post
    Thanks Richie for all the led help! I'll definitely be testing out my lighting options, especially since the lighting is so integral to the TRON theme.

To clarify, I will not be lighitng the U shape as you have shown in your illustration. I'll be lighting the center rib piece that U shape goes around.
    I had the center rib cut from transparent blue acrylic, so it will already have a blue tint to it. I'll try some different colors, but it should yield a good bluish glow using some white, or even uv leds.
    I actually found that out by accident many moons ago after a fan light caught the edge of a sheet and I noticed how much the edges lit up but not the actual acrylic,

Keep up the good work I love tron tbh and saw the first in cinema when I was really young.

Just wondered though how you plan to do the circle light on the wheel I am sure I have seen something that will fit the bill or not ill have a quick look during office hours this week, just dont tell the boss

P.S I fully expect a mini ITX HTPC in a tron disk to go with this when your finsihed.

Quote Originally Posted by Richie123 View Post
    Just wondered though how you plan to do the circle light on the wheel I am sure I have seen something that will fit the bill or not ill have a quick look during office hours this week, just dont tell the boss
    My plan is to insert led's into each tube around the center, so that the ends will glow (will paint both insides and outsides), then glue frosted blue transparent rings on the ends. Hopefully the light will illuminate the whole ring.

Well I actually did get some primer on the fairings on Sunday, but I ran out.

So I picked some more up yesterday, but then didn't get home til after dark.

Hopefully I can get home today in time to do some painting while it's still light outside. In the mean time, here's a few more pics of the parts that will go into TRON:

Crucial SSD's and triple channel Smart Tracer memory kit, and EK waterblocks for the motherboard, CPU, and vid cards.

i7 965 processor.

Cheers!

Overclocked

he he all them bits almost look like they were boxed by the same company

Well, I had hoped to have more to show this weekend, but my modding plans were thwarted by other things. I do, however, have pics of the fairings primed. They look ok-ish, but still need some minor touch-ups before I can lay down the gloss black paint. Once the piece is one solid color, the imperfections really stand out. And black paint is the most unforgiving of colors so I have to work the fairings a bit more.

I also got started on prepping the tubes for paint. The ends will be lit via led strips mounted around their centers. So all surfaces will be covered with the exceptions of the ends. First task was scuffing them up inside and out. Got one tube done...

And both scuffed, with the ends taped off.

Painting the inside with white primer. A makeshift sling was created to suspend the tube.

For the outside, more thought was put in to the masking, since some of the ribs will eventually be permanently glued to the tubes. I first had to mark the areas to be masked, so I devised a way to mark the tube by rolling it around while keeping it square to a 90 degree surface (Charles Richter would be proud lol).

Once marked, I could take 1/4" strips of tape and mask those areas.

That's all I got so far. I don't have the led strips yet, so I can't finish the masking. I'm waiting for one more package from Moddersmart that will have the led's, fans, fittings, sleeving, and custom rad (wait til you see this thing!). Thanks for reading!

The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar

Received the 5-disc Tron a couple days ago.

Both are amazing.

And so is your mod!
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

Tri.fecta

Due to the weather, I haven't been able to continue painting the tubes (damn rain!) So in the mean time, I thought I'd show you what I have planned for the SSD's. They will be mounted on the opposite side of the motherboard tray, disguised as the lightcycle engine.

I'll be making a loose interpretation of the real engine, which looks like this:

A view of the engine through the window:

I don't have much space between the motherboard tray and the window, so the mounting will be relatively flat, but with a hint of depth. I marked out the window placement, and arranged the drives in that area.

Here are the pieces designed and cut.

And glued together with mounting holes drilled.

Here are the pieces for the tailshaft portion of the engine. I cut a piece of 4" tube for the curved part.

Clamped and glued.

Done.

Both pieces together.

Both pieces in place on the tray with drives mounted.

Now I can make some paper templates for the three pieces that will connect the two. That will be tonight's task.