Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: TRON Lightcycle

Modding the World, One Case at a Time Boddaker's Avatar

Default Re: TRON Lightcycle

Quote Originally Posted by AmEv View Post
    So, which kid is this going to?
    Or is it a personal rig?
    This will be going to my inner child lol. But it's starting to make my son jealous.

Quote Originally Posted by Richie123 View Post
    Have to say I really love this and it is something that I am enjoying watching, especially with the delay with some of my parts, keep up the excellent work...
    Thanks Richie!

Quote Originally Posted by x88x View Post
    Nice work. I like how you were able to just blend the two parts together.
    Thanks x88x, yeah that's another benefit of the plasti-paste. You can just keep adding to it!
    Honey Roasted Peanuts Ingredients: Salt; Artificial honey roasting agents; Pressed peanut sweepings.

Damn Bod! BSG was awesome, and this one is shaping quite nicely too.

Am I surprised at the quality of the craftsmanship? no

Am I aroused? oh yeahhh

Fabulous work as always bro!

Quote Originally Posted by SgtM View Post
    Damn Bod! BSG was awesome, and this one is shaping quite nicely too.
    Thanks, I'm having a lot of fun building this one!

Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn View Post
    Am I surprised at the quality of the craftsmanship? no

Am I aroused? oh yeahhh

Fabulous work as always bro!
    haha thanks John. Maybe I should rename this project....

Honey Roasted Peanuts Ingredients: Salt; Artificial honey roasting agents; Pressed peanut sweepings.

If it isn't stock, it's modded! slaveofconvention's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Boddaker View Post
    I will round the top of that center rib, and paint the sides and top edge black, leaving the trailing edge for the glowy light to show through. Should look pretty slick!
    A word of warning here man, when I painted the back of the perspex Wolf black in Lobo, the paint absorbed almost all of the light from the 3 LEDs I had fitted at the time. I managed to get some scrap mirror film (the kind they use on car windows) and that totally solved the problem as it reflected the light much better.

Having said that, I was looking to get a glow when looking at the perspex face on - the light may well still come out of the edges really well. Might be worth 10 minutes of your time for a quick experiment with some scrap painted plexi before you go painting that moulded piece......

With black paint....

With reflective surface....

Current Projects: Lobo | Unimatrix | High Voltage | Antec 900 Revamp (Phase 2)
    Completed Projects: General Lee | Synergy Green | Liquid Yellow
    Planned Projects: K-9-PC | Limey

Wow that's quite a difference there. I will heed your warning and try using some white primer under the black paint and see how that looks. Thanks man!

If it isn't stock, it's modded! slaveofconvention's Avatar

Least I can do. The worst of it is, the first pic actually looks a LOT better in the photo than it did to the naked eye - it was way darker - only the longish exposure with the camera got it to look that light...

Current Projects: Lobo | Unimatrix | High Voltage | Antec 900 Revamp (Phase 2)
    Completed Projects: General Lee | Synergy Green | Liquid Yellow
    Planned Projects: K-9-PC | Limey

The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar

You made me laugh. +r
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

Tri.fecta

Overclocked

Wish I had old photo of first ever etch it was on clear acrylic too... I got that to glow up by drilling little holes in side of acrylic and putting small white leds in holes and sealing the edge. You could do something similar on the back acrylic piece. When I am back home tonight or in the morning ill PhotoShop what I mean onto a pic of acrylic to give u a better idea of what mean

Overclocked

Ok maybs I should have not tried to explain that via phone lol,

Basically this is what I mean,

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    First I should point out that this is meant to be done on the inner side of this piece, not the outsiding face.

I am just suggesting this, you could also test this if you wanted to know the desired effect on a small bent scrap bit of acrylic, drill some holes and use a bit of place electrical type to try it out for your self.

drill out the LED holes (you dont want one at the top as it will become focal) in the edge of the acrylic, then once you have your LEDs in place, also seal up the back of the LED's. (For the LED's. I used little blobs of black silicone sealent and rubbed it down around the LED once they were in place) This stops the light from escaping out of the back, I would advise white LED's for this.

Then you need to seal in the edges along that edge and around the whole piece,(the only edge you wont seal in is the outer facing one). Use electrical tape if your trying it out on test piece.

Then you want a row of blue LED (lian li blue led light strip could probably fit the bill) so that they are pointing outwards.. The white LED's that you drilled in and thanks to the acrylic will give a prism type effect once the sides are sealed. then the blue LED lights will come through the inside of the piece, this will also give that blue white glow.

The reason for the white LED's though mainly is to stop the inner lighting from escaping though the acrylic, and leaving the outer facing edge not sealed will give it a glow.. if you do try it you could get some extra bright blue LED's for the acrylick and white on the inner edge (hense using electrical tape to test so you can decide which effect you like best.