Thread: Need diagram to connect three LED's to PSU Molex

Default Need diagram to connect three LED's to PSU Molex

Hi All,
    I've started my first case mod project - Picked up an old Alienware case (Aurora) that has three alien heads on it. I have successfully installed LED's behind all three alien heads, but can only get one to work at a time. I have some basic LED's with wires already attached. Right now I have one working that is connected to the MOBO power light. I tried splicing the three LED's together, but only one is coming on. I am assuming its becuase the MOBO is not putting out enough juice to power all the LED's.

So, what I would like is a way to wire all three LED's directly to a molex connector I can plug into my PSU. Or, at least someone knows were I can buy something already pre-made? I did try connecting the LED's directly to the +5v from the PSU, and that didn't work either. I am assuming a resistor needs to be invloved somehow.

So, can anyone tell me where I can get a wiring diagraham to connect three LED's to a molex connector on a PSU?

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

Default Re: Need diagraham to connect three LED's to PSU Molex

you can hook one LED with a 220 Ohm resistor to a 5v line and that will work, or you can connect 4 LEDs in series to a 12v as well. you can do 3 LEDs in series with a 180 Ohm resistor and hook that to 12v and it will work just fine

If it isn't stock, it's modded! slaveofconvention's Avatar

Actually, one question we need answered is what is the rated voltage for the LEDs - they're likely to be 3v or thereabouts, but I personally have LEDs in my stocks which are rated from 1.8 to 5v....

Chances are, if yours ARE 3v and you wired them to the 5v line directly, you've blown them so you'll need new ones before you'll get anything working.

Current Projects: Lobo | Unimatrix | High Voltage | Antec 900 Revamp (Phase 2)
    Completed Projects: General Lee | Synergy Green | Liquid Yellow
    Planned Projects: K-9-PC | Limey

Not sure what the ratings are ony the LEDS but they are not blown. After connecting them to the PSU's 5V they still work when plugged directly into the mobo power led pins. I got them from here: http://www.xoxide.com/3mm-led-red.html

looks like min voltage is 2.1, max is 2.6. If that was the case, I'd assume two of them could connect to a molex with no resistor? But alas, I trid that and no dice. Of course, I may have had them hooked up backwards... dunno. But like a said, after trying all of that, they still work when hooked to the mobo header.

Custom Title Honors